Saturday, March 27, 2010

Focused on the Cross

Math Competition in full swing last Saturday. I had the groups go to center to make the afternoon fun. They all wore their Sunday best!

Kim playing my favorite game with the kids. It involves just dice, paper, and a pencil. The kids loved it!

Dancing with one of the children after the competition. A joyous moment!

All of the children from competition taking a picture with new books that were donated to children of the light. "Our God Reigns" was playing during the picture, so perfect!



I promise I am happy even though I don't look it. The kids had to be the fastest at saying the answer to win the card. The child with the most cards won the competition. It got loud but it was noise of excitement and fun!




AIS soccer game against street kids from Accra. Don't you love our beautiful field? THe kids played fantastic even thought the coaches were frantic!






This allows you to see the entire field. Isnt' is so even? One thing about America, I can't wait to play soccer on grass! Our kids are in the blue and I am hoping to bring real uniforms back from the states next year.







Before the game, giving them a last minute pep talk! They are such a great group of kids!






The coaches strategizing and figuring out the best place to put everyone. We had a great time coaching together as Meg is wonderful and such a great friend!








This week proved to be an emotional drainer but I of course, faith like a child, dealt a heavy card to me as my own students helped me focus on Christ and the real reason for serving him.







On Monday, one of my students asked me during prayer time why Jesus had to die for us. What a perfect opportunity which I grabbed hold of right away and began the whole salvation message appropriate for a second grader! I was describing all of the pain and suffering that Christ went through for sinners like us so we don't have to go through the same suffering when all of a sudden I looked over at one of my girls. She said aloud, "Miss Sopcisak, I'm crying." I asked her why she was crying and she didn't want to respond. I asked if it was that she understood the sacrifice Jesus went through for our sins and she slowly nodded her head. At this point, I was crying and all of the other students were just looking at us. It was an amazing moment sent by God and orchestrated by Him to allow this girl to understand, really understand Christ's redeeming love for us. During lunch time, I asked her about it more and she told me that she was so sad about all the suffering Christ went through for us but how happy she was also since he died in our place. I walked her how to accept Christ in to her heart by praying to God and she told me that she already did and she does at home with her family. However, her family is Muslim and I know the father is against Christianity. I know she understands the message of Christ, I just think she hasn't distinguished the difference that praying to God in Christianity is not the same in Islam. Please pray that she is able to stay strong in her faith and begin to understand her relatinoship in Christ as she grows older.







Okay, so the kid who asked about Jesus dieing on the cross on Monday, asked another question during prayer time on Tuesday. However, this one went in an entirely different direction as he asked why we had to have moms to be born. Not a question I wanted to answer in the middle of prayer time or anytime for that matter! Instead I asked him if he would be able to survive without a mom around. He said, "yeah, no rules." I then asked questions like, who would clean your wounds, who would make you dinner(well they all have chefs so scratch that one out), who would tuck you in at night, who would read stories to you, etc. We then decided collectively that having a mother around was important. Phew, really awkward moment turned out not to be too bad.






On Wednesday, I began the day by asking the students what they were thankful for. We had standardized testing all week and they were starting to get tired so I needed to keep them focused somehow. At first I got, "I don't know what I am thankful for." But then I received beautiful words like, "I am thankful for a wonderful teacher who teaches yes." Even though teaching isn't about all the rewards you get in return, it is nice to hear that from students even if they are only 8 years old. Then the statements became even more impactful. "I am thankful for Jesus Christ who died on the cross for our sins and rose again. We don't have to die a bad death because he died for us and now we get to spend forever in Heaven with Christ." Amen sister! I promise that these are words from 7-8 year olds! That is what life is about and I am so thankful that my students can have this perspective which helps me keep that focus, the focus on the cross and his unconditional love. It was such an uplifting morning as it continued when the students were singing songs on my itunes like "God of Wonders beyond our Galaxy, You are Holy, Holy. Universe Declares your Majesty. You are Holy, Holy, God of Heaven and Earth, God of Heaven and earth, etc." and "We Want to see Jesus Lifted High" This is why we teach, so I can instill Christ's love and message in these precious little lives.






Wednesday afternoon was emotional draining as we held a memorial service for the father of two of our students who died suddenly on Saturday. I knew one of them pretty well and her strength on Wednesday was amazing. She stood in front of all of her peers and members of the community to talk about her father while she showed pictures. She was even telling jokes and just sharing his love for life and most importantly Christ. I didn’t know him but I know he was amazing just listening to his daughter share with pride his accomplishments and personality. We were all proud of the high school boys who stood up and shared their own losses with parents and their faith in Christ. Some of the boys(soccer boys) surprised me with their honesty and their openness with their faith in front of everyone but it reminded me of how much the Lord is working in their lives and at this school. The testimonies of these students are strong and I pray that we as teachers can continue to build them up in their faith. I wish I could reverse what happened, but I truly know the Lord is working through this family as his legacy will continue. The family has traveled back to America to have a funeral here and then will return after spring break as the wife has a job here.
Frustrations: Having joyful moments with my kids by them telling me about Christ or asking crazy questions is essential for my survival as stress starts to wear on me after awhile. For example, on Thursday while they were taking their standardized testing, the power was so bad that I did not have any air conditioning. I had the fan on but since the room is small, the fan was right on top of them so their papers and folders were flying away. So instead, the students had the best testing environment as they sweated and squinted to see the test since the light kept going out. You just have to laugh and embrace the craziness! When they were finished with a section, we went into the hallway which is all open and rested in the coolness which usually isn’t that cold but to us it felt like Antarctica. We then did the limbo and listened to the song, “I’m Feeling Hot, Hot, Hot!” How appropriate! On top of this, only the printer in the high school was working and we had to print out report cards. I was printing some more out when I tried to change the cartridge and messed it up! Oh I felt horrible since we lost our last printer. Luckily, it was fixed, crisis adverted but it just gets hard when you try to print things out or copy things and you can’t because they don’t work anymore(even when they are new!) or the fluctuation of the electricity is too much to make anything work. I know it seems like pity little things but after awhile for some reason it just tires you out. I am really praying for the Lord’s strength these last two months as I want to be present here and give my students the best even though I am excited to go home.

Saturday was an exciting and eventful day! It began with my soccer team’s second game against street boys from the city. We played really well and I was so proud of them. We lost 4-3 and some of it was coaching errors! Meg and I are learning and so we will hopefully improve as the kids also improve their skills. They really have come a long ways this year and they are starting to see their own improvement. Yes, it would have been nice to come out with a win but at least the kids know we can play with other kids, especially Ghanaians who are so good!
The End of Math Madness! Yesterday was competition day at Auntie Jean’s to wrap up the math practice we have been doing. To be honest, I was so exhausted after the soccer game that I didn’t know if I could make it but I am so glad that I went to be rejuvenated in these amazing children. I had designed competition so the kids would go to centers so they didn’t have to sit through all of the boring parts. At my center, the kids took a speed test in either multiplication or addition and then had a flashcard competition. The winner of these competitions received prizes at the end of the evening. I could tell you that all of the kids improved in math and finished all of their tests in a minute. However, I won’t lie and be honest by saying they were still counting on their toes and making tally marks. Okay, so even after a month, they still need work but at least they were exposed to better ways of computing than they were taught. It seemed like all of the kids had a great time so that is what matters. They all dressed up in their Sunday best which was so cute and they all received books, fake coke(didn’t know difference) and popcorn so what could be better!
Spring Break Plans: So there is so much to write about! This coming Friday begins our Spring Break. I have decided to go to a village to help a lady that is friends with our Project Manager. I met her on New Years’ Eve and just felt a calling to go help her. She has many Ghanaian children living in the house and they travel to different villages to help where needed. She also helps at a school but has no formal teacher training. We will spend Easter in town and then travel to the village on Monday. There are only 20 houses there as it is in a remote area. We will be spending the week reading with the kids, doing fun activities and crafts with them, and singings songs. I am so thankful for my experiences at camp as I have a lot of games and songs in my bag from SpringHill. I love how God designs everything we do for a bigger purpose! I am traveling by bus there with a volunteer who is right out of high school. I am very excited about this opportunity to experience life in a village better and to help with a school as I am interested in establishing teacher training facilities. Unfortunately, I will miss Easter at home which I am very sad about. I love Easter as it is a time to reflect on Jesus’ Sacrifice for us and then celebrate His resurrection which gives us eternal life! I love our services at church and then the fellowship we have at home with the easter egg hunts. Please dye and egg for me or hide one in a very difficult place that we don’t find for a year. I know who can do this well! Most importantly, I pray that everyone takes the time to really reflect on Christ’s unconditional love for sinners like us. I might not have power or water all the time, but at the end of the day, I still have Christ and his promise to save me from this world! Amen! What more do you need?









No comments:

Post a Comment