Sunday, November 20, 2011

Many Hats to be worn

I am a teacher by trade but is that all my students and soccer players need? Do they only need someone to teach them how to read and how to add or subtract to digit numbers? I hope teachers do not see their role as that at all as we become mentors, nurses, parents, listeners, and a many more jobs that would take me all day to list! Do I mind wearing all these hats and juggling all these jobs? To be honest, sometimes it can be overwhelming, but I love being there for the students and helping in anyway possible to bring JOY to their life!

For example, on Friday we had a soccer game right after school. I was reminiscing how last year I could get 30 girls and boys out the door in 10 minutes and onto the bus. This year, it takes 4 of us to get 15 boys to the front door to run to our field. I am not sure the problem, but we love them just the same. Anyways, we were all ready to run there, when all of a sudden we noticed a player missing. I ran to find him and huffed and puffed my way up to the fourth floor where he was just chilling on the steps. He just needed time to relax and think through things. I have always been taught to deal with the immediate issues first so there we sat for a few minutes. I cannot expect this kid to play a soccer game if his mind is elsewhere and he needs to know I am not just thinking about needing him as a strong defender, but I care about him as an individual with feelings. Finally, he decided to change and after what seemed like forever, we were on our way. However, that was easier said than done as he got into an argument with one of the girls out in the parking lot but we made our way to the field, and tried to get him ready to play. I am so thankful for extra coaches this year for emergencies such as this one. We are realizing the importance of just caring for these boys rather than pressuring them to perform good soccer skills. They need to know they are lovedand we must provide for that need first. At the same time, it is difficult as they need discipline and need hard worth ethics.
Last Monday, I had a really good conversation with one of the soccer boys. He has been going through a hard time and through watching you tube videos of Barcelona with him, I asked him some pretty personal questions in which he responded. We just talked about how what he is going through isn't an excuse for not doing well in school, for his attitude, but it can explain a lot of it. He was shocked by this revelation as he did not realize that how he was performing in school was effected by the happenings at home. This led into a great conversation of how the Lord has freed us from worrying and although it is hard to give it up, we don't have to be in control of the situation and He will ultimately guide our paths. I then prayed for him and sent him on his way to sports study hall which was probably why he was in my room so he could skip. The Lord was definietly putting our conversation in place as this boy frequently stopped by my room earlier in the day for no major reason which he hadn't done in awhile. However, by Wednesday he was mad at me for something that happened at practice and wouldn't speak to me for 2 days but you know you just rejoice with the good days! Please pray for these kids, even 11th and 12th graders who are going through so much change and are just trying to find themselves. Please pray that they put their trust in God and God alone and that we will support them unconditionally.

My class is doing well and we are as crazy as ever! This week we have been learning about verbs so we have been chanting, "A verb, a verb, you do it, do it, do it." This wouldn't be fitting unless we danced to it which is hilarious. We even progressed to having them dance on the table on at a time, thank goodness noone walked by! Sometimes you just have to go over the edge to get a point across. They are teaching me about joy each and everyday and I am so thankful for each one of them. I overheard one of the boys telling another student that he would never be a teacher, especially a second grade teacher. When he was asked why, he responded, "ah, just look at this place!" At that point I started laughing and asked him what was wrong with this place. He just laughed too as we all knew it is a crazy classroom with a lot of personalities to handle but I have to keep telling myself that it is all worth it!

Saturday was a beautiful day as Josiah and I decided to take our street kids to the soccer field to just allow them to play. They were all elated by this and to my surprise, 16 kids showed up at my house before the meeting time of 9:30. Sometimes, the kids say they will do something but then never show up but they did this time. We then walked a good 10 minutes down a kind of busy street to our field. I am sure we were a sight with 16 Ghanaian children walking with one Obrunei! I was afraid we would cause an accident but we all made it there safely. We then played boys against girls at the field which although the girls were not in the play too often, I am pretty sure everyone had a good time. Half way through our game, about 14 more kids showed up, making it 30 kids. That is almost all of our street kids. Luckily they were mostly girls which helped us out! After playing for an hour, we picked up all of our water sachets, and tredged home with all of them, this time taking the back roads which was a little safer. It was pretty quiet as they were all exhausted. I hoped that they would be able to rest when getting home but some of them probably had to go back to working for their parents. It is quite funny how parents would allow strange obruneis to take them down the street and trust to bring them back. I guess they know me now and trust me, but at the same time, it is just a different mindset than in the states. As we were almost home, Josiah suggested singing songs so as we climbed over freshly cemented gutters we sang Jesus Loves Me Rock and Roll style and other kids club favorites while shopkeepers stared. We were having fun and that is all that mattered. We are hoping to do this again as it was a success. I have been thanful for this year as I really have had the opportunity to get to know these children and just allow them to hold my hand while walking down the street or give them hugs whenever needed. They are family and they know it.
My Saturday continued with a chance to meet with two men from the home office of FIM(Fellowship International Mission). They were visiting a missionary couple in their mission whichvI think had talked about last week. I had a really good time hearing about the mission and learning about possibilities where I could become a member of this mission organization. During this time, they interviewed me since I am not able to go to their home office. The missionary couple sat in during this time which I didn't mind as I already feel like they are family only after interacting with them twice before. I was asked some pretty personal questions but I felt very honest with them all, as if they were family. It was such a joyful occassion and I appreciated the interaction with them. I now need a location in which to start my ministry. I feel like my idea is pretty vague and crazy at times, but the Lord keeps putting it on my heart, and I can't overlook his perfect plan. I don't know all the details, but I do know that in the Lord's timing He will open the right doors. Please pray for my decision as I need to decide by after Christmas if I will stay at the school or pursue going with FIM. The scariest part is raising the money as I will not be able to come back to Ghana and begin my work until I raise 100% of the funds. Even now writing this, it is scary thinking I will never have make my own salary for the rest of my life, or I am leaving the comfort of a stable job, but the Lord does not always call us to be comfortable. I know that if He wants me to pursue teacher training for local schools, He will be there each step at a time.

May God richly bless your Sunday!

No comments:

Post a Comment