Sunday, October 14, 2012

Smiling Throughout the Day

Oh what a glorious week it has been as God has given me the opportunity to teach in the classroom again!  I must admit that I was a  little rusty in my teaching techniques but it was a blessing to be with children.  I must say that the first day of school  was one that I have never experienced before.  It took forever for school to start as they were still registering for school and most of the classes have over 50 children.  We are happy for the numbers but it is hard to accomplish anything with so many students.  I spent sometime with the KG students and I got out the blocks for them to play with but none of them knew what to do.  Luckily, I am an expert on playing and had to build with the blocks first before they began to touch them and build towers.  I was surprised but this but I guess now is the perfect time to teach them.

In the afternoon, I taught my two English classes and loved the interaction with the children.  I did things totally different than they are use to as I spoke in English most of the time and had them act out everything I did.  They were confused at first as they usually take notes about everything but after awhile they began to enjoy the new way of learning.  The French teacher told them they were going to learn how to speak English like a white person and have an american accent but then he tried to translate everything to them in French.  I had to nicely explain to him that there was a reason that I was speaking in English and after a few days he began to see the benefits.  Please pray that I can memorize all of their names as I have 36 7th grade students and 8 8th grade students.  The 8th grade students are all new to the school as the school is just old enough for the 7th grade class to have gone through the other grades so we are happy with these brave 8 who have decided to try our school.  What a blessing that there are so many children who can hear about Christ each and every day!

Tuesday morning, I was walking around the classrooms, when I peered into first grade where they were busily playing with playdough and finding the proper way in which to handle it.  I then glanced to the left where all the KG students were using the bathroom outside and then glanced to the right where the many second grade students were left alone in their class.  It definitely differs from class to class but I am praying for ways to encourage these teachers to stay engaged with their students all day.  Yes, it is tiring with so many students but we only have so much time to share Christ with them.  I enjoy watching the first grade teacher as I think we are very similar in teaching styles.  The kids were already learning and memorizing a bible verse on the very first day.  The uses playdough and lots of gestures to engage the kids.  The kids throw their backpacks in a pile by her desk so they are not using them during the day which is something I would definitely do.  The best part was though, when she was explaining the difference between high and low, she stood on the desks to get the point across of high.  I loved it as I spent many of moments standing on desks.  I think you just remember things better that way!

Later in the day, I was watching a middle school chemistry class and afterwards was talking with the teacher about different ways to make it interactive.  I then showed him how he could use playdough to make the different atoms and I had about 4 teachers around me making hydrogen, water, you name it!  They asked when they would get their playdough but I told them they just had to borrow it from first grade.  I am opening their minds to a new way of teaching but I also want them to know that I am learning as well and don't have all the answers. 

The week continued as I watched classes and listened to books of the bible being sung in French,  Bible verses being memorized, and praise being given for the great work of the students.  I met with the French teacher to ask him what he observed when I taught.  The first thing he said was you smile all the time.  I almost laughed at this was instead said, well I love teaching, so it is impossible not to smile.  To me, smiling and laughing are a natural part of teaching but as I watched the other teachers they kind of a have a concerned look on their face during the period.  Bea said that I look at all the students to make sure they are participating while most teachers just stare in the same direction.  There are things that I just take for granite but realize are not a usual practice for most.  However, I should never take even smiling for granite as it can be such a comfort to kids who never receive smiles from others.  What's the saying?  Smile and the world smiles with you?  I struggle some days because I don't know how much of a difference I am making but I have learned to be faithful in the small things and if I must smile to help ease the tension and make them feel loved, then that is what I will do. 

On Thursday, Bea and I traveled to Kpalime(don't pronounce the K) where we have 4 schools but is only a half an hour away from where we live.  Bea wants to have a picture of each school before she leaves and pray with all the teachers.  I loved seeing all the children in their cute little uniforms learning scripture and feeling loved in their environment.  At each school, we would gather all the students outside for a picture and then the driver and I would sing songs with the kids while Bea talked with the teachers.  The students would sing a song and then when they would finish, another student would just start singing another and they would all chime in.  It was amazing to watch and of course they are children so after awhile it got a little rowdy but it was so fun to be part of an atmosphere where we were all praising the Lord in either Ewe, French, or English.  On Friday, we went to a school about an hour away where all the teachers have matching uniforms.  Now, when I say it is an hour ride, I really mean that there are so many craters in the ground that it takes a few minutes to drive through or around each on.  At some points, there is not a paved road at all, but just one crater joined to another crater with large muddy puddles inside of them.  It makes for a nauscious sort of ride but thankfully the view of the mountains with the rocks jutting out of the foliage helped compensate for this.  We also took a picture at La Lumiere where I work.  This actually was the most challenging place because they didn't understand the concept of all standing close together so I could get them all in the same picture.  We finally made it though and then I dashed off to teach my class.  The students wanted to learn a song so we sang "If you are happy and you know it."  They loved it but wanted to copy the words.  I told them that it is more important they listen to me first and learn the words before they just copy it but again, it is engrained in them that they just copy down everything they do. 

The first week of school ended with a work project in the afternoon for the older students although some younger ones came as well.  Of course at first, we played soccer untilt he majority showed up which I thought was a good use of time.  Now, when the students came back to work, can you imagine what they brought with them?  They of course brought their machetes, hoes, and brooms from palm branches.  This definitely is a different sight than in America because first of all could you imagine a principal telling kids to come back later and clean up the yard with their outdoor tools.  I am sure the principal would have a lawsuit against him or something.  Anyways, for awhile the students did busy themselves with hoeing up the weeds, cutting down the tall grass, or sweeping out the classrooms.  One group even made a bridge to go over the muddy path.  I even did some weeding with the hoe to everyone's surprise but it is my school to so I must take part.  I had a little group of boys who rushed to pick up the weeds I had left behind and they were even stealing weeds from each other so they would have the most.  Whatever keeps them entertained.  Now, these are still children so after while they did become tired of working so decided to play instead.  Please remember that these children were carrying hoes, brooms, and machetes with them.  So please picture with me children running around and playing while still holding their tool of choice.  It makes one dangerous playground but I none of the reported any injuries.

What a blessing it was to begin school and see the Lord work in mighty ways this week.  Please continue to pray for good conversations with the teachers and that I can begin to share Christ with the students.  Also pray as Bea and I travel a great distrance in 3 days to visit the remaining 8 schools. 

No comments:

Post a Comment