Saturday, August 9, 2014

The light in the darkness


      During a typical day in the summer, I start my day with french lessons by 6 :30 and then just see where the day takes me which normally involves visits from kids to color and design their own creations to stopping at people’s home to greet them and normally watch them cook.  Last Wednesday happened exactly like that until the power went off. Yes, l live in Africa and the power willl go off from time to time, but it still causes some inconvenience.  At the time it went off, I had some students over and they were playing english games on my computer.  Even with the door open, the falling evening meant the darkness was creeping in.  They left so I could get ready for church before total darkness and then I found time to work on my computer.  This is when I realized that I was all alone in my house with only my computer lit.  Seeing the darkness didn’t seem that bad when I was busy and there were other people around but now I felt the darkness around me and I was cognizant of my situation.  This reminded me of sin.  If we just keep going and surround ourselves with pleasures, we really don’t realize that we are in the darkness until we are all alone and have time to reflect on it.  Yes, the darkness is real and it can engulf you if you aren’t running towad the light. 

   I could have stayed there in the dark but I decided to go to church, not sure of what I would find.  The church  I attend on Wednesday’s night is made from bamboo sticks with large open windows(no glass), a cement floor, a tin roof, and no permanent doors.  When I came upon the church, it looked like noone was inside due to the lack of light, but inside the place was packes and one large lantern lit the front and permeated through the benches.  All of a sudden, I felt better because even though we still didn’t have any electricity, the light was brighter which of course was caused by the lantern, but also the body of Christ.  Being surrounded by other believers made me realize that with him, we can combat the darkness but we can’t do it alone.  Going to churh encouraged me to search for the light and draw closer to Christ than to stay alone in the darkness.  We can combat the darkness but we must be willing to run to the light and work with other believers. I love that about Togo because it is such a community.  Everyone helps one another and we accomplish the goal together.  The Christian school ministry would not be possible without all of our Togolese teaches and directors who give their expertise, encourage their co-workers, and love sharing Christ with their students. 

   I have already written  about one of my students who accepted Christ because of our soccer camps.  He is afraid to go to church due to his father but he is willing to be mentored by a Togolese man.  Friday was suppose to be the day that he started meeting with his mentor at the school.  Hwever, in calling the guy, I learned that the boy hadn’t come yet.  Luckily, I was going right by the boy’s house on a moto so I stopped, told the kid to get on, even though he wanted to shower first, and away we went.  I realized that  I could never just pick up a kid on a moto and keep on going without talking to his parents in America but it works here.  I again just dropped him off and kept going because I was late with my time with the girls.  Oh, the life in Togo is never boring. 

   I talked to the man afterwards and he said that it went well with the boy.   This student told him that he is fearful of his father and he must still attend the Islamic school every Saturday. I know that this has to be so difficult to be learning the truth but then to heart the lies but for the moment he is still obligedto go.  He still needs to be careful and we are praying that over time, his father will understand why he is different and will accept Christ as well.  It is such a huge praise that this student has accepted Christ as his Savior and we continue to pray for his growth despite the fears.

    On Friday night,  I packed up my laptop and projector to head for a student’s house who wanted to watch the « Lion, Witch, and the Wardrobe with her family.  I didn’t charge my computer entirely since she told me that they had electricity but I soon figured out that « having electricity » doesn’t mean it is constant electricity.  It kept blinking off and on which meant the projector didn’t work and my weak battery computer didn’t make it through the movie.  So there we were sitting in a litte cement room with people filing in while I explained how the film related to the gospel message.  It really brought the sacrifice of Christ to life and it became a good witnessing tool to all that was there.  Do you think that Disney ever thought this movie woud be watched repeatedly in Togo and used to talk about Christ ? 

 

    Let us keep looking for ways to push back the darkness and bask in God’s light.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment