Saturday, January 30, 2010

Random News and Updates

The food thief is at it again. Oh, go read the blog below this one(Reality) before reading this one as it is from a week ago and will kind of fill you in on what I am talking about it. Two weeks ago had a kid whose lunch was stolen(whole story below) and this past week two kids had things taken out of their lunches. What is going on? It isn't a big school and there are always people around but somehow they are still getting into my kids things. The kids bookbags are in the hallway in their cubbies since there isn't room in the classroom and I usually have the door open but I do shut it occasionally. It hasn't happened since Tuesday so hopefully it has stopped or someone is getting fed more at home. Only God knows! We really want to put a camera in the hallway to catch the person, kind of be a spy, would be fun at least!

Other random news..... I spent all day at school yesterday and still don't have it all finished. I know exciting news, you are so glad I told you. So, no problem, don't mention it, I am pretty nice! I think I am a workaholic but the verdict is still out. Okay, okay, I know I am a workhaholic and I am working on it. I just know I suffer and my kids suffer if I am not totally prepared for the next week. There are so many things to take care and I do enjoy doing it so how else would I want to spend my Saturday? Anyways, if I was at home I would be working so I just changed up the venue. By the end of the day, I was exhausted as I am also not getting enough. Oh, it is a viscious cycle that really does have to stop. Please pray that I can be friends with baby bear and find out how he can make things "just right." Sorry, that was kind of dorky but remember I am a elementary teacher and I have to live up to my reputation. Really, I do need to find balane between work and play but there is so much need around that it is hard to rest. I guess I just want to make a difference while I have the opportunity since that is why I am here. People say, you deserve to rest but there are people on the street who never get to rest. Something I am still struggling with but it is good to be real with people and to talk about it so I can be more accountable to my struggles.

We have met with the kids on our street for kids club twice this semester. We are giving the kids small sheets of paper with verses on it to memorize. Somehow they keep the paper for two weeks(don't ask me where it has been but they have it.) Some of them are able to memorize the verses and then they are rewarded with a sticker to eventally work up to larger prizes. I love these kids even though they usuallydon't listen and it is chaos but the word of the Lord is there and that is what matters plus they receive water and biscuit(cookie) what could be better? There are two girls down the street that I have befriended. We always talk and they always ask me if I am tired as they carry large things of water on their head! One day they helped me carry home imaginary bags but we kept spilling the contents on the road so we had to keep picking them up. I even carried an imaginary bowl on my head, aren't you proud of me? I did dump it over once or twice but that is minor details. My guard saw the whole thing and just laugh. What a weird obrunei he probably thought. Anyways, I have been giving paper books to these girls and then when they have read them for awhile they read them to me and I give them a biscuit if they did a good job. They have been reading quite nicely and I am excited to help with their reading skills since they don't get much instruction in school. They really do cherish these books just make out of paper. You could tell it was well read as there was dirt all over it and the last page was ripped but the still had it. They really do take care of their things even when they live in unfinished houses exposed to the elements and don't have much else.

Auntie Jean officially has the money for her land and she will begin building on it very soon! God is so good and it is amazing how he continues to reveal his plan to Auntie Jean as he really has provided in enormous(one of our vocab words!) for her. They found a man building a road not too far from the land which will allow her to get large supplies down their faster than the half hour rocky climb down. She called the man last Friday and he was at the airport about to leave. He would have already left but his plane got delayed so he was still in Accra. If she would have waited any longer, he would have been gone and she wouldn't have had permission until April. God is so good and somedays we don't even realize how much He does provide even in the small ways. We are starting reading month next week so I have been getting supplies and ideas together. We will have levels learning their numbers and to count up to kids multiplying. It is amazing what they don't know due to the lack of teaching ability in the public schools. Oh, I want to help them all but in due time the Lord will reveal his plan. Please pray for all the preparation of this month and that the pavilion being built will go as smoothly as it can in Ghana. Remember, it is a lot hard to build here as they have to crush up all the stones, mix the mortar on the ground, and do everything manually.

Last but certainly not least.... today is a monumental day is Ghana as the national soccer team is playing in the finals of the African Cup of Naitons against Egypt. They haven't been in the finals for 18 years and Egypt won it last year making it their sixth time to win compared to our for times. The semifinals were on Thursday and we watched it with our soccer kids at a restaurant(that use to be a container) with the locals. It was so fun when the game was over because everyone was going wild in the streets and all the car were honking as they drove by. It was probably dangerous but the whole country was having a good time. We will see today... either Ghana will be moping around or you will hear their jubilation cries all the way to America. You got to love soccer here and the excitement it brings with it! I think I was born on the wrong continent for soccer!

Enjoy your Sunday and please keep in touch, I try to write back if the internet is working!

No comments:

Post a Comment