Sunday, February 21, 2010

Broken and Beautiful

This is a picture of some of the children in William's village. They were very curious with us as it was there first time seing white people. The children we so free and happy here. I know I want to work in a village setting one day to help with a stronger education.


Okay, so this looks a lot worse than it really is but it looks gruesome! All I had to cover the bleeding with was leaves so it left it messy looking. A little souvenir after hiking!


Faith and I on top of Mt. Gemi, the second highest point in Ghana.



The girls, a random lady, and William our driver at the top of Mt. Gemi. We are sitting at the foot of the cross, where we belong.





On top of Mt. Wli with the gang and our walking sticks. We wouldn't have made it up without them. The gorgeous mist of the fall was well worth the treck up.






This is a week old, so not the past week but the week before that. The week definitely started with brokenness as someone said something that hurt my feelings. This is not this persons fault but it just brought back old memories and I lost it. I ended up getting at school and just falling on my knees before the Lord. It was so good to be broken and fall on my face before the Lord as I don't put him first. Don't worry, I am fine but it is good to share my struggles as we all deal with problems. Fortunately, we have the greatest comforter of all, Jesus Christ. In my weakness, He gives me the strength. Through that experience I just felt uplifted the entire week and renewed in the Lord. I have a thick brain but I am thankful that God will continue to break me to see his beauty and power.

On the same day, I met with a parent and she was telling me that her daughter loves going to school. Even when there is a lot of traffic and she wants to turn around and not come, her daughter begs her to still make it to school because she loves it so much! She also told me that she is kind of religious but her daughter is always telling her to pray to the Lord and trust in Him. She is my biggest prayer warrior and she always prays for her whole family, unsaved people, Haiti, and anything inbetween. God is good! The next day, I asked her in the hallway if she knew what it meant to believe in Jesus Christ and she walked me through the salvation message. She told me she had trusted the Lord and she asks him everynight. Well this isn't exactly the way it is, but she is on the right track and you can see the Lord working!

One of my favorite things after school is to talk to the kids on the street. They light up my life when I am bogged down by the stresses of school. I either twirl them or race them or they ask me if I am tired. Sometimes they even carry my things for me which I reward them with a biscuit(cookie). I might have told you earlier but I have been giving them paper books that I print off from reading a to z. THey love it even though it is just paper. They are all unstapled and dirty by the time they read them to me but they still have them. They cherish them so much. On Tuesdays after Kids Club they stay and read them to me. They are doing pretty well. However, they broke my heart when they ask me to come to school and teach them. Oh how I wish this was possible! One day I only game them one book and they complained. It isn't like my kids where they just want the best, they just earn for books so bad. I complain that I don't have any books in my classroom but I at least have more than the kids in the government schools. Every morning they come out, "sister Christy, do you have the books?" I am so embarrased when I have forgotten them at school. How I want to help these children excel as they want to be nurses someday and that will be only possible if they can pay school fees which right now they are squatters in a house. These children do give me Joy when I am drained and I am so thankful for them in my life.

We had Friday off just because I guess so we decided to travel to the Volta Region which Cathy and I went to over Christmas. It was fun to share this beautiful place with my friends and to feel closer to Cathy since we shared so many memories there. It was the right beautifulness that I needed to strengthen and rejuvenate me. We had our driver, William, come with us which was so fun! He is from that region so he had so much to share with us! Every bush and tree, flower, you name it he had a name for it. As we hiked Mt. Gemi, I started to fret as I knew we needed to find a path off the road to take the more scenic route. However, I missed it towards the beginning and instead took the road all the way up. Ooops! I kept telling William, "ask those people if we are going the right way." Of course he assured me that we were. Me of little faith! We did make it up to the top and it was gorgeous like before. We rested for a long time and just took in the beauty of the surrounding area, watching soccer games go on below us. I love the cross at the top, because when we were going up, we had to fix our eyes on the cross to make sure we were going the right way. At the top, William said that if the trumpets sounded, we would be the first ones to go to Heaven! He is so great. This is actually the second highest point in Ghana which still isnt' that high. Right when we got back, it began to storm, the heavens opened up and God showered us with His blessings. How beautiful and relaxing. They next day, we hiked up to Wli Falls which Cathy and I ran out of time to climb last time. It was very strenuous but worth the treck up. There was a peaceful waterfall up at the top with an inviting pool of water. We didn't get in but instead enjoyed lunch and the mist from the falls. I could just breath out there and it was so peaceful. Even though we were working hard, I felt relaxed and satisfied seeing God's beauty. On the way down, I surfed on a rock and it came back and jabbed me in the leg. I hope you don't get too grossed out from the picture because it really wasn't that bad. It just ended up like that since we had to put a leaf on it to stop the bleeding. It looks cool though! Afterwards, William took us to his village which was the highlight of our trip as we met his family, the elders of the village, and the chief. Some of the kids were curious with us but stayed there distance. We then found out that they had never seen white people before, just on TV. I eventually got them to ome closer to me and we ended up dancing down the road. I taught them some fun camp games even though some would not come close to me. We represented a new race to them and it was nerve racking. William was so happy and I am so glad that we were able to help him see his family. When we were talking on the way up to Wli Falls, he told me how we all help each other. He is okay with white people coming to Africa because we have started hospitals, churches, and schools. He said that he had never been to Wli Falls or Mt. Gemi even though he was from that area but here were girls from America who were able to show him something new about his region. I wish I could have recorded his words as they were so powerful. I think you just need to come here and experience it for yourself. So come on over, you can parachute down from the airplane to my house since it goes right over.

God continues to show his sovereignty as he breaks me at my weakest point and then shows His Glory through the Beauty. I pray that you can feel the embrace of God as he continuously opens his arms to Us even when we run away. Fall on your face before the Lord and break away the bondage to find the warm comfort of the Lord.

No comments:

Post a Comment