Saturday, March 19, 2011

Oh the JOYS of Life!

These are my kids being very productive and having a snowball fight. They had earned a party so if you are going to have a party, you might as well go all out! I promise we get work done but there is always room for fun! Also, when you live in a place with no snow, its good to feel a part of the rest of the world for once.





Did you know joys can come in all shapes and sizes? They can even be hidden and undetetable when are you looking for the ideal joyous occasion. Unfortunately, the joys of life are not always revealed in the manner in which I would like them to be but that is part of the joys of life. Even when they are definitely not joyous occassion, God can take such circumatances and prove to us continuosly that good can come from the bad if we are willing to see how God can work in such areas.








Compared to the rest of the mayhem in life like Japan, Libya, and people dieing of awful diseases, I have nothing to complain about. When you think of the scheme of things, situations are not that horrible, however in the midst of problems, it seems bigger. I even hate bringing this up since it is so miniscule compared to other difficulties in earth but it is part of my life and who I am here in Ghana. This past week, we had 4 soccer games which made me get behind on school work and drained more of me than I thought was possible. On Monday, the boys lost 6-0 to a team they tied in February. I am not sure what happened myself! However, after the game, we were waiting at the school with one of the players until 8 which created plenty of time for conversation. He seems like a tough high school boy but he is deep and has great thoughts. He started talking to Faith, the third grade teacher about creation and how beautiful nature is. Faith said it is amazing what God has created and he went on to say that he guessed he would go to heaven since he prayed once and awhile and went to church sometimes. Faith then took this open opportunity to explain the steps for salvation and that the only way to heaven is accepting Jesus into his heart and believing He died for his sins. It really was a powerful moment. I missed some of it because I was talking to one of our drivers who was sad since his mother is out of money and he doesn't have any to give her. My heart really goes out to the people who are trying to support themselves but also have the responsibility of supporting their entire family. Ghanaians work extremely hard and unfortunately they still do not make enough to survive off of let alone help others. Even as a missionary teacher, I am still blessed with an abundance as I am typing on my laptop in my room with the fan and light on where I have access to a refrigerator and indoor plumbing. In this country, it doesn't get much better.








Being able to talk to this high schooler and our driver helped us realize that their is spiritual and physical needs surrounding us that don't even require us to drive to the slums. God has called us to be loyal and to be ready to be used at any moment even if you just happen to be sitting on the steps of a school with a soccer boy.








On Wednedsay, the girls had their chance to play a really good team. This was the first time they played on a big field and we had to have some of their players on our team to make it even. At first, the girls were very leary about it but they learned a lot from each other and the players helping from the other team. That is what it is all about as we have plenty of room for improvement. It takes a whole group effort to make the AIS soccer teams function. Our girls' goalie just became a goalie a few weeks ago but she is improving each time. She had to punt the ball out since we were playing on a large field but we had never told her how to punt. Fortunately, I had one of my students with me who is obsessed with soccer so he warmed her up. At half-time, Faith heard him yelling, "your toes are your enemies!" since the girls were kicking the balls with their toes when they should be kicking with their laces. Like I said, a whole group effort.








Then Thursday came. One boy came to me tell me that the girls thought I showed too much attention to the boys and didn't like them the same, yada, yada, yada. First of all, there are more boys, and the girls' team is newer so it is taking me time to get more games. However, I can't please everyone. Then the boys came saying how great their coach was on Wednesday when I was at the girls' game and he has more discipline and better drills and better running and yada, yada, yada. It was difficult hearing all of this because I know I give my all to building this program and it isn't easy. They show no appreciation but just want more. However, I am not doing it for their satisfaction but fulfilling a calling from the Lord. I love it, but they started to push me over the edge. By practice time on Thursday, I was done with them all and told them that without me there wouldn't be a program so don't make me too mad! I am too easy on the boys but it is hard learning the lines between how far I can push them without getting them frustrated. It is a learning process for us all. We had two games on Saturday but I entered the weekend feeling discouraged that the boys were finished playing and their bad attitudes were here to stay.






Fortunately, Friday happened. When you think you are feeling down, go spend time with some kids, perferably second graders since they are quite amazing. They will brighten up any day. We start every Friday morning by reading our journals in the castle. On this particular day, all of them wrote the most hilarious journal entries. We were rolling on the carpet and just flooding the floor with tears of laughter. It doesn't get much better than enjoying beautiful moments with blossoming minds. God is so good to me to entrust me with 14 fragile humans. In the afternoon, we had another compliment part in which this one was themed as a cold party. Hence, we brought in cold treats and had a huge snowball fight with paper to make it a chilling good time! It was fun to let loose for awhile and enjoy unforgettable moments with my class. It is amazing how close we have gotten and I love that; I love letting them have that feeling that the classroom belongs to them and they have a saying, but at the same time I have to be able to reel them in. We only have one more quarter with these kids. I am going to miss them so much, I really hate thinking about it but it also mean I have one more quarter to make a lasting impression on these maliable minds. It has given me a charge to treat each day special and not to lose a moment with these precious lives so they can ultimately see Christ.






Saturday finally came with two games back to back. I really wasn't sure what or who would show up physically and mentally for the game. Fortunately, they all showed up and played tremendously well as a team. I felt more in charge as we had an actual locker room at the grass field where I could go in once they were decent of course and yell at them before the game. Such power I have! Anyways, we ended up drawing the first game 3-3 and losing the second game 5-4 even though we were winning at half time 3-1. Don't even get me started on this outcome. Anyways, it proved to be a fun day as the boys played as a team and scored a lot of goals! I even got a souvenir of a great rosy red sunburn after the game. We did learn that we can play with whoever we want to as long as we show up. These friendly tournaments will continue in the futue which is exciting. Also, I talked with the French school and we are planning a league for next year. Yes, an actual organized league with games alreaady scheduled ahead of time so I don't have to keep calling these coaches to give me a game. You have to love organization in Africa! I began the journey on Saturday dreading it but again God showed me to be faithful to him. Soccer seems to be difficult at the moment but I have to keep reminding myself that God has placed me in this position for a reason and He is glorified through it, than it is worth it all! It is sad that none of the parents ever come to a game. These kids need support from someone and if they can't get it from home then I have to provide it. However, I am realizing that I will never make them all happy so I just have to give it my best, that is all Christ ever expects from us.






On Sunday night(yes I am playing catch up from a week ago) we had fellowship with all the workers at church which was long but amazing to praise Jesus in at least seven different languages including Chinese, Afrikans, and Arabic. God is bigger than the universe and He loves each person no matter what nationality or language they belong to. I love seeing God's universal church in Ghana.






The past week proved to be trying again with soccer but pretty good with the kids. There is nothing too amazing to report on except for random things. Oh I washed the feet of the Children of the Light Kids. They were really amazing that I would be willing to do this, I heard a lot of Twi and a lot of laughter. It is very humbling to take on a servants job and a great reminder to myself that I need to be serving each person I meet.






I saw the Cote D'Ivoire national team getting money out of the ATM after me. They are training here since Cote D'Ivoire is a mess. One of the girls at school came in bawling saying her uncle was cut up into pieces in Cote D'Ivoire. We are not sure if it is true but I am sure horrible things are happening. Please also be in prayers for Libyia which is getting scarier each moment and there are a lot of Ghanaians still there. Also, Japan is still a wreck and devastated. The Japanese families at our school are making bracelets so we can remember Japan and raise money for the victims. Never keep praising our Lord who gets us through devastations and provides the next need for us.






I saw two different people on two different days wear UC bearcat shirts. I guess they didn't know they lost. It is funny to see shirts from home as used shirts make their way to Africa as Obrunei Wawu(white dead man's clothing as someone would have had to be dead to give up clothes.) It just shows the different mind sets between Africa(use everything you can get) and America( don't want it anymore, get rid of it.)






On Wednesday, I had the soccer girls in my room during their lunch time. I want to start a small devotional time with them so I can get to know them better as they feel left out amongst the boys. I shared my testimony and kind of my background with soccer and how it has played an impact in my life. It definitely has strengthened my walk with Christ as by college I realize my purpose for playing soccer isn't for all the stats but it is a way to praise my God for the abilities He has given me and pass on this game to others along with the work ethics. Please pray that the girls will come each week and we will be able to share with one another. I believe that most of them believe in God but I am not sure how strong their relationships are. The one I really want to come, did not come, so it would be a blessing for her to be a part of this time.






Thank you for those who are reading this and supportive. I miss you all and will be home in two months! It is going by so fast! Please pray for my parents and Cathy who will be traveling here before I go home. Especially pray that mom gets her passport. A long story but life wouldn't be any fun unless it was complicated!






Christy

No comments:

Post a Comment