Sunday, June 5, 2011

Different schedule and I love it!

I have sat here on a usual Sunday pouring out my thougts and random experiences. I sit either with Faith(roommate), or by myself usually dripping with sweat and swatting the mosquitos away. Don't get me wrong, I love it but this time as I write to you, my ambience is a little different. No, I am still sitting in the same chair and no, I am still sweating but this time I have to chatterboxes sitting across from me and I am in peace. These two beautiful ladies are related to me and I haven't seen them for 10 months. I am still pinching myself to know that I am sitting across from my beloved sister and mother in Ghana! My dad is already asleep, it is after 11. So here I am happily typing away about to share the many adventures I have already had with my family in just a short time. After picking them up at the airport where we turned away beggars, it is hard but you can't give to everyone, we stopped at the new soccer field to take down the net. This was possible by sitting in my dad's shoulders and unwrapping the net from the pole while in a skirt but I promised I was covered. This was quite a task but we did it gracefully and survived. We then made it to my lovely home and dragged in all the suitcases. So many goodies awaited my students and me. You want to make me happy? Just send school supplies! Anyways, after unpacking and just staring and hugging my mom for awhile, we adventured out to a nightlife place for some shopping.













Granite, at the time we could see the dark clouds rolling in but nothing stops me from doing something so we still went out. We did some souvenir shopping and then the clouds opened up and let out the monsoon while we were still walking. We ducked into a building while my dad was saying, "okay, I am really out of my comfort zone." Welcome to Ghana where the unexpected happens all the time! We stayed inside the building until we finally made a dash to a coffee shop and enjoyed a meal while drip drying. The waitress even gave us linen napkins to dry off.









On day two, we traveled to Pram Pram which is a Children's home a half an hour away. This was our last time going with the kids at school and the children here are so sweet. I was so thankful to share this with my parents as these children just praise the Lord with all their being. They are really well behaved and better than my high schoolers! Our crafts were a hit even though the house mothers might not like the ball and paddle game! We spent the afternoon entertaining the high schoolers by having dinner to thank them for coming this year and helping. My parents pointed out that kids anywhere are practically the same especially these who have money.









The night was quite an event as the lights went out for 4 hours straight. On top of that, we didn't have any water. Welcome to Ghana! Finally, by 10:15 the lights were back on and we were able to function as normal. It gave my parents a good taste of life here and lowered expectations. We had a good bonding time sitting outside in the actually cool weather and laying in a very quiet house. It is what it is.








Monday was exciting as my kids got to meet my family. My kids couldn't contain themselves so everyone calmed down once they arrived. They loved that there were two Miss Sopcisak's in the room. My family as of course great with the kids and it helped having extra hands. SOmetimes I am not sure how I do it alone. It has to be God!

No comments:

Post a Comment