Monday, August 15, 2011

Our God Reigns



















There is so much to talk about and I am not sure where to begin. As of last week, I spent the time making my room presentable for children. I must say I am kind of slow in this department and many people didn't have any hope in me finishing. However, witht he last minute touches the morning of school, I was ready to open! This became a tiring week of just working but it was much needed as the school was a mess as they put on a 4th floor. This week reminded me of God's preparation for us. He continues to sharpen us and mold us into his creation, until the time He is ready to use us in a different way than before. I worked hard to prepare my year so it would be ready for my students. It took hard work, but having a loving environment for my students was important so it was worth the effort. Am I willling to allow God to prepare me for His vision in my life?






A highlight of the week came Friday when I had some of the teachers over for dinner. I had given directions to the new PE teacher from his house but unfortunately I failed. He took one wrong turn and wasted an hour and a half trying to find our place. Oops, I even gave him the wrong color gate but he wasn't anywhere close to that. We eventually got him to take a taxi and the problem was solved but I felt bad. It was kind of like his induction into Ghana, you know if you can survive the streets alone. My first year I went running and got lost for an hour so it happens to the best of us. Wow, three years ago, I knew nothing of this place and now it is home. It is crazy how that happens and how God puts a passion into your heart but I am content here and surrounded by family that comes in different forms.


On Sunday, the Lord reminded me of "show and tell" about how I might be the only Christ that these kids ever see. It is so important that everyday I have the purpose to love God so I can in return love these precious children God has put in my classroom. There are definitely difficult days with them but God is sovereign and as long as I stay patient He will get me through. I love the chance to share Christ with these kids and just hang out with them.


I can honestly say that I survived the first week! Praise the Lord and I am not taking that lightly. It is always hard at the beginning of the year as of course they are not at the place where they are at the end of the year. I have to teach everything new again and be a little strict at first so they learn the rules. This is hard to do but God is getting me through. They are precious and I have some that will keep me on my toes but I am just praying for the strength to get through. By the end of the week, we were finally making progress and I know this will continue. They are so cute and I love kids because they instantly love you and tell you that. It really boosts your self esteem! One the first day we made castles out of boxes which at first was hard for them to understand but then there creativity took hold and we made a total mess which I am so good at. Please look at the pictures above! They love to tell stories and be involved so I try to keep things interactive. I know we will get to know each other soon. One of my new students told me at first he didn't want to come to this school but now He is happy because we talk about Christ. What more could you want! One day the PE teacher walked in and one of my boys asked him if he was married. He said no and the kid asked well didn't you go to school? The PE teacher said yes and then the boy said but if you went to college you should be married, that is what you do! Kids are too funny! They are already excited about the bible and we have many good conversations already about how Christ is the only way to get to Heaven by believing in His sacrifice on the cross. Please be in prayer for me as I continue to love on these kids and that I seek out the opportunities to talk to them about Christ.



A praise:


I feel a little prideful mentioning this but I want to praise God just the presence He is in my life and how he has worked out marvelous plans for me to be in Ghana. This week I found out that a relative a significant amoudn of money for Cathy and I when we turned 25. This amount is just enough to finish the rest of my school loans making me debt free! Now I have the freedom to go whereve the Lord leads next year which is exciting but also scary! I am so thankful for God and for just showing His mercies in a huge way. I still need to praise Him through the storm but will definitely praise His name on High through this blessing. Our God Reigns is such a comforting statement and it couldn't be more true. I pray that each one of you hold that truth close to your hearts and never let go.



No comments:

Post a Comment