Sunday, December 18, 2011

Unexpected Stop

My long awaited journey to America finally started Saturday night as I borded a plane bound first for Nigeria, Istanbul, New York, and then Cincinnati. However, the plane leaving from Accra was late and we spent too much time in Nigeria which made for a late arribal in Instanbul. I didn't have much time to waste as it was but his didn't help, especially since we had to get our boarding tickets here. Yes, the inevitable happened and they wouldn't allow 6 of us on the plane, for who knows what reason. Some were upset but I have realized this gets you nowhere and it is better to stay. Okay, I did shed tears later, but they weren't hateful tears! Anyways, the airline decided my best bet was to wait until tomorrow to fly out. There was a later flight to New York but then I would be stuck in New York with no guarantee that things would work out for me.

The agreement wasn't such a bad deal as they put me up in a Marriot. I could have relaxed and enjoyed the room but thought it was a better idea to see the sights of Istanbul. Luckily, a free shuttle went into the old city part and I spent a few hours seeing mosques and looking through bazaars(markets.) There markets are just a little different then the ones in Ghana as well, they don't smell as bad, don't have flies everywher,e and really don't pressure you to buy things. They sell the most beautiful scarves, rugs, purses, and you name it. They did have fish, but it was a lot more fresh than Ghanaian markets and smelled better! I quite enjoyed taking in the Turkish culture despite the cold chilling me to the bone! Literally, my foot is still thawing out!I even had chestnuts roasted over an open fire which were quite delicious. Let the Christmas season begin! The city is surrounded with rolling hills as the houses follow the layout and they almost fall right into the sea which is a great seaport for the city. On the way back in my taxi, I even managed to learn the words for Thank You and Rain. Oh the useful things I learn.
Yes, this was not my ideal day as I would have rather been running into the arms of my parents but I must be thankful that the flights as I am still in one piece. I have had the opportunity to explore a new place and I would rather be stuck somewhere then harmed. God is good and although his plan seems far off from ours, He is always protecting us. I just pray we can see His blessings even when they seem like a curse.

No comments:

Post a Comment