Sunday, October 11, 2009

Christmas in October
















I love celebrating Christmas earlier(actually we can celebrate it anytime since it is the celebration of the birth of our Savior.) I would also like to celebrate fall since it is October but alas, the palm trees have not turned colors yet! It is weird thinking it is already October and there aren't any chances, well except for the fact that it is actually getting hotter here! Last year my friends and I took a fall walk around Taylor so I do have plenty of pictures of fall, praise the Lord for these!










Anyways, back to Christmas in October. At the beginning of August, the school had a container sent over from America sent with needed supplies for the school and personal people. I had two boxes sent over with things I would not need right away. After two months of traveling on the seas, the container arrived on Friday and everything is off of it already! This was a huge blessing to the business manager and his family of 7 since they did not have all of their furniture yet. They will now have a more complete house. Also, three of the teachers will be moving into their new house soon and they now have needed furniture like beds! It is better than the tile flooring for sure! The school also received text books, better late than never! I now have enough science books for each student and leveled readers. Seriously, being here has helped me appreciate the little things!

In my personal boxes, I got my dry erase boards(will be so nice for teaching and peach salsa. Oh happy day! Again, it doesn't take much to get happy around here! I was almost out of shampoo and that arrived in my box too!


While we were unpacking, something started to smell. At first we though it was Ghanaian food but then the smell got worse. If mom, was here, she would have known what to do right away because she has a keen sense to the smell for smoke. When the smell got worse, we called Mr. Crosby(the director) and he called the electrician. However, when we turned off the lights, the light right outside my classroom door caught on fire and was burning just a little bit. One of the guys climbed up on a desk and forced it out with an extinguisher so that was the end of our little fire! There is never a happy medium here as the volts are either too weak to turn on lights or they are too strong so they burn everything! Where is baby bear and goldilocks when you need them! One morning, the cleaning lady happened to get to school earlier than normal just in time to see one of the outlets on fire! We just have to keep praising the Lord through these times because things could have gotten worse and there could not be a school at all.
So, we are all doing well at the moment. Please pray for the director and his wife as they are sick. Pray for the normal day to day happenings of the school and that no more outlets would catch on fire. Also, pray for my patience in the classroom and that I can find the best teaching styles to reach all of my students. They are so great. We are leading worship during chapel this week so pray that it will go well and that my kids will behave on stage! You never know! Please let me know how I can pray for you all, I would love to hear from all of you!

The pictures at the very top are pictures of men making beads. They break up coke and sprite glass bottles, put them in the clay molds, and then bake them in the “kiln.” They are gorgeous! This place is located near Ghana Christian University which is outside of the city. Some of the teachers’ husbands work at the University which is a blessing to Ghana to have a developed Christian University.

No comments:

Post a Comment