Sunday, October 4, 2009

Mixed Emotional Weekend
















The weekend was welcomed with sad news as we discovered that the guard who cleans our house has been going through our things. We don’t think anything was stolen but still we had to call the project manager from school. We had gone out for the evening and so right away she went over and fired him. Yes, he might have taken from us, but still we did not have the chance to say goodbye and he had no warnings of this occurring so he is now on the street. The situation probably could have been handled in a better way but it did need to be taken care of. We just feel bad because now he doesn’t have a place to stay or a job. Please pray that he finds a job and that we find another guard soon as our other guard is now going to school so cannot be at the house during the day. It will all work out in God’s timing
Yesterday I became a big girl as I took my first tro tro ride by myself. Aren’t you proud of me? I went to Medina and then met up with another teacher to travel the rest of the way to the Children of the Light Ministry. One thing you need to know about Medina, it is a market and Saturday are Market Days so there are tons of people, and lots of goods to be sold. They sell anything from shoes, to fish, to rat traps, to you name it! One thing you need to know about tro tro’s to Medina. They stop wherever they want to and it isn’t necessarily in the right place. However, when he tro tro let me off, I knew exactly where to go to meet up with the other girl and I found her without a problem. I am so proud of myself as I no longer feel like a dependent child but can survive on my own! There are still many things to learn but I am glad that I am trying to become involved in the culture and learn their ways since I am a guest here.
Yesterday was competition day at Children of the Light. The kids had a huge spelling bee and then they said their memory verses. We started late and it took about three hours so the kids got a little stir crazy after awhile but they were so happy to be on the stage saying their words in the microphone. Most kids would not be excited about this but when there is little, you appreciate bigger things. They all came dressed in their Sunday best which I have found always stays nice no matter how dirty it is around them. Afterwards, all of the children received biscuits(cookies) and a drink for their hard work. They are not different than other children in the respect that some were upset because they did not receive a prize for being a top speller. However, they are different in the respect that they get excited over prizes such as pencil cases, text books, and readers. Whatever makes people happy!Oh, if you are interested in helping this ministry or the ministry at our house, please talk to my parents as my sister will be brining supplies over. They need things such as electrical tape, crayons, prizes, school supplies, etc. At the house, we could use small trinkets for gifts, clothes, chalk, bubbles, other toys to play with at the house, etc. This is not an obligation but would like you to know about this opportunity if you are in

No comments:

Post a Comment