Monday, December 27, 2010

84 what?

So a week ago from Sunday, we had our second annual Christmas Party for the kids on the street. I told the kids we would have a Christmas Party so they were expecting something. I decided to play it calmer this year and only serve them cake and popcorn. I tried to make extras but that obviously wasn't enough as Brittany and I had 84 kids at the house. I am not sure where they all came from, from the cracks in the sand or something. When Brittany told me that number, I said, 84 what? I don't get it because I didn't believe that could be the number of kids. So, we were running out of things to give them as you can imagine but God provided. Brittany said afterwards that we should have prayed over it like the fish and bread, God does work miracles. The younger kids just didn't get as much as the older ones but they survived. We sang songs, tried to give the Christmas story while acting it out and then watched a Charlie Brown Christmas which does tell the true meaning of Christmas which was projected on the wall in my compound. The kids didn't understand the movie as well but they enjoyed watching something. Even though the evening was crazy, the kids behaved themselves pretty well and seemed appreciative of what we could give. For days later, they would come out of their houses shouting, "Sister Christy, hello." Daniel said the parents appreciate our efforts but they would never come and tell me that. That is just part of the culture. It is funny that they would just allow their kids to come to an obruni house without even knowing us but they figure we can't be too bad if we are singing Hallelu, Hallelu, at the top of our lungs and reading God's word. Please pray for these kids as they try to learn in the public school district which isn't easy to do here. Pray that I can help teach some of them their alphabet and the letter sounds as they just rote memorize it at school. These children are precious and deserve the best.



Thank you to those who donated money for kids club or just the general fund so it was possible for me to buy the needed supplies to make this event happen. I guess I will have to plan for 150 next time! God is good and sovereign and as it says in the Bible, let the little children come unto me. I pray I never turn down a child or never get irritated to not spend time with them because they are truly precious in his sight.

No comments:

Post a Comment