Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Have a Seat, Connect the Mosquito Bites, and Laughter equals beautiful smiles

This picture is out of order but this is in the village which I have visited before. The kids just found out that they were receiving cups and candy from us and this was their reaction. Isn't beautiful? I wish all kids were as satisfied as these. The whole classroom erupted in cheering. These children do not receive much being so far away from the town so this was a huge surprise for them.




This is Brittany in the village(explain below) looking a little knife happy! The kids were teaching her how to make a broom. You would all be so proud of me! A lady in the village invited us over for dinner consisting of fufu(pound of casava and plantain) which you dip in soup with your fingers and swallow it without chewing. This was a challenge for me but I did it. You can tell we are all enjoying ourselves with the kids, goats, dogs, and chickens running around somewhere.





This is probably my favorite picture as the kid holding the knife is 1. We were sitting where the picture was taken above and just watching him with the knife as the mom and all the kids were just watching from afar and laughing. Just a different world!







We made crowns on the last day for baby Jesus with the little ones who learned how to use scissors for the first time. Brittany was wondering how the kids would keep the crowns on their head since they were too small but then we remembered that we are in Africa and they can keep things on their heads without any problem!







We made nativity scenes out of triangles with the older kids. They turned out cute and the kids were happy to make a craft.

















These are kind of out of order but this is in village that I went to last year as well, Apeboso. We helped the older kids learn an easy Christmas program in 2 days! God does work miracles! You will see in the pictures below that we used parts of the palm tree for angel leaves and head bands. There are so many uses for the palm tree and these people are so resourceful in knowing how to make the most of what they have instead of the American culture where we throw away everything.










This is Praise, Christine's little boy with his angel wings. He is full of energy but has a great heart.
Brittany is busy tying on angel wings and making sheep ears while everyone else wants to join in also. These children have not been exposed to a lot but they have sweet spirits and love experiencing new things.











Oops, the picture is sideways but this is Christine and I in the Rainforest! Yes, a genuine rainforest which is right next to the village. I hope you can tell that they are leaves shaped in the form of heart sto represent our heart for Africa!













Oops, sideways again. When we were in town with Christine, we put up Christmas decorations which was a blast since I haven't done that in awhile. These are all the kids that Christine and Kirk are taking care of in the town so they can have a better education. If you can't tell, we are pretending to be cold although we are really sweating! I feel like part of the family here!













Brittany had already been here a week when we took our first adventerous trip to Christine's house about 5 hours away. We were suppose to leave the house at 4:15 a.m. but I mistakenly woke up at 4:30 in a panic! Fortunately when we arrived, the bud had not left yet and in fact it was only 1/3 of the way full. This game of waiting lasted 3 hours with 5 hours of driving time on top of that! Oh happy day in Ghana! A saying I have noticed is applicable to most situtations in Ghana is have a seat. They are always telling me to have a seat when I am waiting for someone even though I prefer to stand. this says a lot about the culture as they want you to be comfortable but also because they know it will take awhile for anything to happen. I will say that God is teaching me a lot of patience! While we were waiting, I entertained the other passengers on the bus but exhausint my repertoire of twi phrases. When every least seat was taken the passengers yelled, "Acuia, pray for us." Acuia mean Wednesday born as this is important in the Ghanaian culture. I was a little confused at first but Brittany told me that they really wanted me to pray for their trip. I then went on to pray for Ghana and safe traveling which we don't take lightly here! The Ghanaians all in unison shouted amen and we were officially on our way! Brittany and I pretty much dozed in and out of consciousness the grueling 5 hour but ride. Thankfully, the light at the end of the tunnel came and it was worth the hassle as I was able to spend time with Brittnay in village life and hear sound advice from Christine, who has been a missionary in Ghana with her hustband for 16 years. We spent the rest of the evening playing uno with Christine's girls and listening to many of Christine's stories. This is how life should be, relaxed and not gated in seclusively but among the Ghanaian people.




Sundays are typically hard days for me in Ghana as it reminds me of missing home. This happened today especially as Christmas is approaching. However, God is sovereign and decreases my fears and insecurities. One of the songs we sang talked about, "It's you I live for Everyday" This was a great reminder as it is Christ and Christ and alone that I want to live for everyday. I must make it a priority to think of Him first everyday and devote my daily life to taking up my cross and following Him. After church we spent the afternoon "making Christmas." I must say that I thoroughly enjoyed this as I haven't decorated in two years. I made cookies with one of the girls from the villlage who now goes to school in town. We even wore aprons and hats although mine was too small. Ophelia is quite the Betty Crocker. During this ime, we put out a small Christmas tree with ornaments and taught the girls how to make snowflaks while tryin to explain to them that a snowflake was. Brittany had betterluck than I did. We spent the rest of the evening playing games while Praise and the girls decorate cookies while we played games. love life here bcause we just live for how it is and give the children they care for the dearest, the best experience possible I a not stck in my nice home with four walls and a guard. This is whee I feel at homeand in my comfort zone. I did hve a choice to come next year to stay with Christine bt I feel that I am not finised at AIS yet. However, it s so har being here knowing I can't do anyhing long term to help these chldren at the moment. Some of the teachers are not even teachers while others have over fifty kids in a room. How will they ever learn in this type of environment? God will bing me to the next step of my journey i due time and I mut b faithful to His timing.




Monday, finally arrived where we were greeted with man smiling faces in the village, Apeboso. It as so amazing to see familiar children who permate he town of Ape. As always, they came running when they hear Christine's car nd as always they bring in the multitude of supplies like little working ants. They love to help and enjoy any interaction we have with them as everything is a new experience for them. You must understand, that a lot of them have not even seen a paved road before or a movie so they take everything with wide eyes and a thankful heart. The kids attached on to Brittay right away as she taught them new songs.


When we arrived at Christine's, she told us that we were going to help the children put on a Christmas play that they would perform in town for her church in town. Most people in town think the kids in the village are backwards so she really wanted the to shine for this Christmas program to show them all that they are capable also. The kids in the village are better off as they are self sufficient with their farms and can take care of themselves unlike the towns people who rely on the goods of the village peope to survive. Anyways, Christine gave us a small children's poem of the birth of Christ so we had one child ead it while he other children acted it out. I will admit it that it was difficult at times to get them to understand our directions but they worked hard and by God's grace produced a fantastic play. It took many rehearsals but the kids enjoyed working hard to accomplish a goal. One day, I told them we would rehearse two more times and then play games. Once we fnished two times, I asked them and they all said they wanted to keep rehearsing! What a differet world we were in as the kids loved to work hard.
On the first day, Brittany surprisingly taught the KG, 1,2, and class 3 class all together where the little ones didn't know any English. They did have a teacher but she didn't teach them anything and just stood there as Brittany scrambled around to figure out what to teach so many children at many different levels. That is teaching on the whim 101.
On the second afternoon, we went into the Rainforest which is in the backyard of the village. Yes, a real, certified Rainforest complete with exotic plants, vines winding around like a jungle gym, and trees you normally make expensive furniture out of. God is so good to produce amazing wonders like the Rainforest which produces so many rich resources for us and is pleasing for our eyes to gaze at.
By Wednesday, the kids had produced an amazing play which they performed for the people of the village. They even got down swaying at the same time during "Joy to the World" which believe me was no small feat. The kids are so resourceful compared to kids in our culture as they made all of their costumes out of palm branches. Who knew there were so many uses for a palm branch? They made angel wings, headbands, you named it and they looked amazing. The kids were so proud of themselves as they accomplished a goal and achieved it. These kids don't have much but they understand the importance of working hard for goals and I am so proud of them for that.
One of my most memorable evenings was when we went to a lady's house in the village and helped her make dinner. Brittany got to pound the fufu, which ends up in a gooey ball like bread dough. Then came the best part, eating it! For those of you who know me, you know that I love eating new and exotic foods! Alright, I am a picky eater and it was difficult for me to do this but it was more important to eat in fellowship than anything else we could do for them. With fufu, you don't chew it, but just swallow it. You put it in soup with fish and other meats. I have been avoiding it since I have been here but I did it and will say that well I really don't want to eat it again. To eat it, you put some in your fingers, dip it in the soup, and anchors away, in the mouth with one large swallow. Yummy! THe fufu doesn't taste like anything, just whatever the soup is. There was fish in the soup and Igues goat meat but I stayed away from the fish. I tried to take small bites but the lady kept saying "didi" which is eat. The other part of eating this is you eat all from the same dish, so Brittany, myself, and the lady with her youngest child all ate together with the rest of the children eating all around us plus the goats, chickens, and dogs. One big old happy family! I even found a gnat in one of my almost bites. but good thing I checked first. This is what life is all about in Ghana, reaching out to people and getting to know them on their level in their setting. Even though I became pretty disgusted, we made her evening and that is what it is all about. Christine and all the kids are like a second family to me. I feel at home there and pray that maybe I will have a place there in God's timing although AIS is home for now.
Oh for the title: One day I am going to write a book about Ghana and it will be called, "Have a Seat" as for some reason the Ghanaian people don't like it when we stand when we are waiting for something. "Have a seat," Have a seat" that is all we hear. For some reason they don't think obrunis can handle standing for a long time. Well, really it just shows how hospitable everyone is and the laid back mentality. You might as well take a seat because you don't know how long it will be until the people show up. You got to love Ghana!
We were in the village, we were eaten alive from mosquito bites. It would have been a fun to connect the bites, make a pretty design! Both of us didn't take malaria pills so pray we don't get anything!
Last one; the kids in the village don't know how to smile for a picture, so when you say 1, 2, 3, they have to laugh. It is hilarious watching them all laugh as you take their picture. I love them so much.
Sorry for reading this super long blog!

No comments:

Post a Comment