Friday, May 20, 2011

God's Sense of Humor

Aren't you so glad God loves laughter and is the inventor of humor? Life would be so dull without it! I feel like the humorous moments are when you really want to cry, scream, and pull out your hair but you can't so you just laugh instead. I love God during these times because it shows that he is in total control and we just have to take a backseat and enjoy the craziness. I feel like this happens a lot in Ghana which makes me love the place and clean on to my Lord even more. Of course, it somehow involves soccer. On Thursday, we were suppose to have a game on our field but rainy season has set in and thus our field flooded. I mean I am not going to complain about the rain but it can change plans. We moved the game to the other schoolk which is about a half hour away. Throughout the day, I tried to remember all the details to make sure we were ready. Unfortunately, I couldn't find enough drivers. I had all the girl players and three of the boys on the bus. I had the majority of my boys in a Korum and I was in a taxi with three other boys. It took us an hour to leave our area of the city which should usually take 10 minutes. I have never seen traffic that bad! We struggled to make a decision for a long time over what to do. We had to make the decision to either turn around, well at least try, or attempt to go to the game. You know I can be a little stubborn and I just couldn't justify sending them back without a game. Finally, my taxi broke through the traffic and we made the call to cotinue on. Right after that, my taxi ran out of petro(gas) and he had to push us back to the bus stop. We then quickly found another taxi. Unfortunately, the girls were all stuck on the bus so there wasn't time for them to play. My taxi and the other car showed up at 5:00, two hours after leaving the school, sick of being in the car and a little drousy. We had no balls with us and some of them didn't even have their uniform which was all on the bus. We put ourselves together and I managed a line-up while the other team had been practicing for a long time. It was a hodgepodge of players on the field but they were there and ready to play. By God's help, we were able to put in a goal even though the ref was their coach and we were getting no calls for our side. Even one of my sweetest players got a yellow card! The rest of the players showed up at half time and we were able to keep the win until the deal, making it our first clean sheet of shut out, meaning the other team didn't score. I am so glad for the win especially for the crazy day. I was thrilled until right after the game when the other team started cussing at my boys and they almost all started a huge fight. I was not happy as you can imagine because most importantly we play for Jesus. So much to learn but we are getting there. The fun never ended as it took us another two hours to get home, making it 8 oclock. Oh man, what I do for these kids. It makes it worth it when they say you know we love you Miss Sopcisak. They have a funny way showing it but they do need a lot of love and I am willing to give it out. Tuesday, two of the boys came home with me to help with kid's club. I think they were looking for goodies and they seemed appalled when I told him we give the kids biscuits(cookies) and water for snack. They think it is a real treat but when kids are use to more, they don't see it that way. Anyways, one of them was so cute and came outside with us and helped lead the songs with the kids. It takes a lot for a high school boy to be willing to sing songs and do motions. It is good for school kids to branch out to those on the street who have little.

Today, Saturday, there was a 5-5 soccer tournament at the nice, grass fields. I had two teams with my players on it and for once I wasn't in charge. That was a nice change although it was hard to not coach. I eneded up managing the games and making sure the next teams played. I had fun anyways talking to other players and watching good soccer. Some of the players from other teams came up and shook my hand saying good morning coach. I was taken back from this but it was a nice jestered. I asked Faith how they knew I was a coach and she said, "well you are the only white, American, and female coach around. Everyone will know you." very true statement! It was a successful day and one of my teams made it into the final game. I came out being very red and one of my only white players said we are just trying to blend in better. I think I have awhile until that happens. Soccer can bond so many people together and it is an honor to live in a soccer country where I can share my passion with so many. You never know how a conversation about soccer cna turn into a conversation about God.

Tonight, I walked to the store and one of my friends on the street came with me. It was so fun holding her hand and walking down the road laughing over crazy little things. We watched the planes dash out of clouds and talked about the food we liked. She is so precious and I am learning the important of loving on these kids as much as possible. They never go to the regular store as they buy most things on the street. It is important to share just little moments with her. I can't spoil her but I can love her while still withholding Ghanaian customs. I pray that you are all having a wonderful weekend soaking up Jesus' goodness and faithfulness.

No comments:

Post a Comment