Sunday, September 9, 2012

Sheep in the Headlights


I embarked on a journey a week ago Saturday that I have taken before.  This journey was filled with tears, loneliness, and excitement as I made my final farewell to my loving family and then greeted my extended family in Ghana.  Alas, I was met with the familiar sounds and not always pleasant smells of Ghana.  However, my usual journey to Ghana was only a resting place until my long awaited arrival to Togo.  The original plan was to leave Accra on Thursday, but this was changed immediately due to difficult circumstances at AIS.  School was cancelled for three days so my friend Kim and I did the only sensible thing we could do; go to the market and get 1500 notebooks!  Yes it seems a ridiculous amount  but when you have 14 schools, you need that many notebooks.  We took our usual trip to the market in a trotro and in minutes of arriving, told the man at the stationary store our request.  The difficult part was waiting for the notebooks to actually arrive from another shop as I very well know that “just around the corner” actually means the man is an hour away.  The notebooks came in a shuffled mess all in the back a large van.  They then went to work at the meticulous job of counting the notebooks and putting them in a box well over its capacity.  Kim and I were trying to figure out the best way to take all these notebooks on a trotro until the driver offered to take us home but of course for a small fee.  So, we rode in the front seat of a van with a complete stranger all the way, but it was better than lugging heavy boxes through Medina.  One of my greatest joys came on Tuesday when I had kid’s club with all the street children that I have learned to love for three years.  Our faces were covered with face crayons, we were dirty from playing soccer, and we read every book at least several times.  We did our usual singing of songs and we acted out the story of Jonah with much laughter and dramatic interpretation.  Afterwards, I gave them their usual beginning of the year package with erasers, pencils, sharpeners, etc.  They knew exactly what would be in it but this time I added an extra surprise by putting in a printed picture of last year with our tie-dye shirts.  It was sad to see them go and I had to explain to them that I had to move to Togo but I covered them with the JOY stamp and told them now that they must pass on the JOY to others. 
    There was finally school on Thursday and it was a joyous day as I saw my beautiful students from the years before.  In fact, I was able to teach the fifth grade quite a lot Thursday and Friday , who was my very first second grade class, due to their teacher having other responsibilities.  I quickly became a teacher by coming up with lessons on the spot and had a grand time visiting with all the students.  Although I loved being there, God gave me a blessing as I wasn’t too upset and didn’t miss teaching.  The Lord has guided my steps for Togo and gave me the peace that I needed to be there.

       Saturday was the big day where I finally left with all of my belongings with my good friends Kim and Sheree.  Everything took up the entire vehicle and we hit the road where we spent around two hours at the border getting through bribes, random car payments and waiting to receive our visas when large trotro of people kept passing by.  The trip was even complete with several funeral possessions, a marching band, and a gun salute although we were afraid they were shooting at us.  We joked that Kim and Sheree were taking me to college for the first time but it was definitely not a typical college trip although my parents car broke down the first time I was going but I don’t remember bleating goats tied up on a motorcycle or policemen looking for food.  Seven hours later, we finally arrived at our destination and I had that tingling feeling you get all over when you go to a place of great memories like Taylor, camp, and of course my own house.  At that moment, I knew for sure that I needed to be in Togo and what a blessing that I have arrived after only knowing for certain last February.  What a blessing the Lord has given me and it is my responsibility to stay focused on His work and glorifying Him.  I am very pleased with my little house which is directed towards the green mountains, patches of corn fields, and wondering chickens.  There are many children to love and new friends to help my French improve. 

  When I was in high school learning French, I would have never imagined that I would actually use my French in a foreign country.  I am sure I would have paid attention a slight more as a whole church service in French was a lot to conquer on Sunday but I usually picked up words at the beginning of the sentence and at the end.  I spent the afternoon tackling my room full of suitcases although I can’t do much until I have an armoire built.  It might not be much of a room, but it works and I love being surrounding by French, Ewe, chickens squawking, goats bleating, and the laughter of happy children.  In the evening I walked to a friend’s house to get a ride to the ABWE compound for an English service but she was not feeling well so I decided to walk there.  However, the journey seemed longer than usual on foot and before I knew it, the darkness had blanketed me.  As a city girl in Accra, there were usually street lights, unless the lights were off, but there were none here.  However, the Lord was my light along with a legoman keychain that happened to have a small light on the lego feet courtesy of my good friend Kim.  Anyways, I made it despite the darkness and should have taken a moto although I had no change with me.  I think the missionaries are beginning to understand what a mess I am but I am resourceful.  Needless to say, they did take me home afterwards.  Monday , I walked to La Lumiere, the school I will mainly be working with, which was having summer school classes.  I just followed the procession of children to the school and watched awhile until I found myself knee deep in school supplies at Bea’s house.  Yes, we have our work to do in order to get ready for teacher training in two weeks but the Lord provides.  I took a break in the afternoon to go the market with the first grade teacher as Monday is market day of course.  I enjoyed her company as I concentrated on every work she spoke and she took great pride in making sure I didn’t get lost by even holding my hands at time.  I have had my share of African markets but she was taking her job seriously.  You learn in school how to buy food and such so it was fun to actually try out those vocabulary words.  The lady selling onions interested me the most as she kept her money hidden in a pile of onions.  I think that money would have a distinct smell, what do you think?  Out of the trip, I only bought a watch and soap but there are plenty of more market trips to take so I must pace myself.  On my way back to the hospital on the back of a moto, a taxi came upon us rather quickly and could not pass due to traffic the other.  Thus, it had to make a quick decision by swerving to the right and running into a small shelter make of wooden poles and a straw roof.  It was quite a scene as the shelter collapsed on top of the taxi but the taxi just pulled out from under it and continued on.  Thank goodness no one was injured but such is life here; things happen and you just keep going.  To be honest, I am not a big fan of the motos, yes it is an adrenaline rush but swerving around one pothole to another makes me quite uneasy. I know there is a Savior because he is the only one keeping us safe.  Well, that probably isn’t a pleasant thought to end with but it is reality and we must constantly praise the Lord for his grace.   Tuesday, I prepared my office at school and translating Bible curriculum from English to French with an online translator as I am not that good yet.  I have been missing interaction with children but  as I was unpacking I had to get out the multitude of crayons and other fun goodies that teachers always have and share with the kids still hanging out around the school.  I am excited to spend time with the children in my neighborhood and love on them but right now we are busy and it pains me to not play with them although I did take a few minutes this morning to throw a tennis ball around with two boys.  I must pace myself and keep focused on the task of preparing a great year for the teachers.  I have talked to a few of the teachers  and they have already asked me if I would be here a long time.  I pray that is the plan but God is in control.  I am so thankful for the provisions he has given me to get me this far and He knows the following steps. 

I love trying to use my French although it is difficult when they don't understand me at all and just laugh.  I know they are laughing to make fun of me but it still loses my self-esteem to try again.  One night a man came to the house and was talking to the lady I live with.  I started to ask him if he works and he told me he was a farmer.  I said that was a good profession but he said no.  He had to farm because he had a moto accident and hurt his leg.  I totally missed him saying that part in French and felt horrible for missing that part of the conversation.  All part of it I guess!  Then later, he was carrying something in and I said he was strong but I made strong the female version and I met more laughter although I corrected myself quickly.  Never a dull moment.

Thursday, I had to take a break from work and travel down to Lome, the capital, to get a one year visa.  I guess it would be good to be legal in the country for awhile.  I went with one of the missionary nurses and was amazed at her driving as here you constantly have to swerve around animals, motorcycles, cars, and potholes.  The vehicles seem to pull out in front of you all the time or just randomly slow down which causes for some seat gripping moments but we are all still alive.  On the way back home, a herd of sheep started to pass in front of us and my friend put on the horn.  They all crossed except for one who froze in the middle of the rode and looked at us sheepishly(ha!) She put on the breaks, kept honking, and the sheep finally woke up to run to safety as all we ran over was his leash.  We started laughing and my friend said it was like a sheep caught in the headlights instead of a deer.  I thought about that for a few moments and realized I feel like that.  I am God's sheep and there are time where my eyes are big and I am just frozen as I am not sure what I am doing.  However, I froget that I am the Lord's and he is my Shepherd and will protect me from harm.  I am overwhelmed at moments and the harvest is many but he has prepared us all for  job and as long as we keep our focused on him, I do not have to be that sheep int he headlights.

Yesterday, Saturday, I found myself correcting curriculum with Bea and occasionally sitting outside to work so I could soak up the powerul rays.  On my way home, a hospital employee was leaving on his moto so he kindly offered me a ride.  After small talk in French, he asked me if I was French or German.  Ha, what a compliment to think he thought my French was authentic.  He became an instant friend.  We had a peasant conversation on the way into town and at one point he asked me why I am in Africa.  Before I could answer, he said did you come because of God.  I said yes, God has put me here and I am thankful for that.  Then he proclaimed, "You are no Jonah!  You did not run from God but went where He told you to go.  I had to laught at this because sometimes although I might go where he asks, I am still wishing I was somewhere else on the inside or questioning why the Lord maybe has me here if I can actually do the job.  I selfish are my thoughts as I do not want to be Jonah.  I want to full heartedly serve the Lord where he has placed me and be confident but humble in the gifts he has given me.  I love the meaningful conversations I have been able to have with the Togolese so far.  I learn so much about their culture and their hearts by taking the time to just listen to them.  I thank the Lord for the provisions he has given me to be here and pray that I continue to focus on Him for strength and guidance.

This week will be filled with more preparation for the teacher training in a week.  It is hard to not be more active but getting all the materials prepared now will ensure a great school year.  I pray that today, Sunday, will find you resting in the Grace of our Heavenly Father!

No comments:

Post a Comment