Monday, August 10, 2009

Lesson Learned #1!

Surgeon General's Warning: Please do not read this if you are ever worried about my safety or don't think I should run alone! I am warning you, please do not read past this part!

So hopefully if you are reading this you don't care about my safety and would rather read a great story. Well, it isn't that great of a story, I mean I am writing this so I at least came back alive but it did make me put my cockey self aside for a second and think more realistically. I will tell the story and then you can be the judge. This morning I decided to set out nice and early to go running in the neighborhood which consists of mostly nice homes with fences and guards and then some fruitstands or other curb side businesses. A girl in the house told me exactly where to go and since I am directional saavy. I figured I wouldn't have too much difficulty. Well, after following her directions, I decided to turn left and then left again thinking I would just be making a loop. You know what happens when you assume something! Yes, I am sad to say that I did get a little turned around since I spent a lot of time running past the same landmarks that were not my house or anything near it. I finally got up the nerve to ask a guard on a deserted street where I could find the A and C which is a shopping mall close by to the house. After talking to two other people, I finally found it and quickly ran back to familiar territory.

The lesson learned? Never trust the direction of streets, remember landmarks better, all dirt roads look the same, don't look like you are lost, do ask for directions. These were important to learn but along the way I felt God's presence with me and I came to a realization. We do this all time to God! He gives us specific directions and for awhile we follow them with no problem. Then, all of a sudden, we have an urge to go off the beaten path because we know we will be able to find our way back without a problem. Only wait, there is a problem! Somehow always, we do not return to our original location with God. We have wondered away and are now searching aimlessly for the right direction. We know the right direction has to be close by so we continue to search on our own, not even trying to ask God for help. Finally, after wondering around for a awhile with no real purpose, we decide to ask God for help! It may take a couple of times for us to really understand what he is telling us but if we take the time to continue to ask Him, He will show us the way! Afterall, He is the way, the truth, and the life! Hallelujah! After listening to the people today carefully since it was hard to understand them, I did make it back to safety just as God always opens His arms to us after we are lost and finally ask the way home. God is alive and waiting for us to ask Him for directions.

So lesson learned? Don't leave home without your living road map: The Bible!

Today we had our first day of teacher training. I will post about this later!

No comments:

Post a Comment