Wednesday, January 4, 2012

No Regrets, No Hesitations!

Here it comes, time for New Year Resolutions and reflections on the past year. Yes, they are numerous around this time of year and probably redundant at times, I thought I might as well add my two sense. Afterall, I don't read newspapers, magazines, or really any type of media so I am not exposed to all the New Year jargon. Just in case you aren't either, you can read mine. In 2011, I leave back no regrets. Did I make mistakes in 2011? Oh yes I did! However, in Christ, when we ask for forgiveness, he washes us clean. He takes away the old and leaves the New Creature that is founded in Christ Jesus. I am so thankful that He loves us for who we are and not what we do and can't do. Yes, there were definitely problems in 2011, but God was of course always good and showed himself in many ways. For example, living 2 1/2 years in Ghana without any major complications other than skinned knees is a huge blessing. I have a loving family who even loves me on my bad days(not easy to do!) and supports my wild adventures. I have friends and a church family who love me for who I am and help challenge me in my faith. MOST importantly, I have a Savior who has redeemed me from my sins and has set me free! I am not sure if it can get much better than that! God is a constant in our lives and as long as we fix our eyes on Him as we walk along the treacherous walkway, we are safe. I pray that during the beginning of this year, you focus on the Blessings from the Lord and how we can walk in His light than focusing on the disappointments, heartaches, and stresses. Christ doesn't want us to live that way really we don't either as long as we throw off the old.

I am currently sitting at my home in Ghana after returning from Togo for 4 days. To be honest, during the time in Togo, I forgot that I had been home, but please do not report this to my parents.

In second though, I should take a rabbit trail and tell you how amazing it was to be home which is honestly the truth. My family was so welcoming and we had a great time celebrating Christ's birth together as a family. We even braved the cold to see maybe a little more accurate interpretation of the Nativity Scene at the Creation Museum although they were quite content with the 40 degree weather. How blessed I am with my family and thank you for the many memories we continue to make even when 6000 miles away. I am even for their mercy when I don't call them for 4 days to let them know I arrived safely back to Ghana.

Alright, I am not back and ready to tell you all the wonders of Togo which is the country to the east of Ghana. The best part about driving from one African country to another is the border! The people were a little drousy as it was New Year's Day but they created fun as always. Some of them were looking for their New Year Presents and others just wanted to give us a hard time but God provided as always. At several border crossings, there are just ropes that are raised which prevent you from going into the next country. All the guards have to do is lower it, and you are good to go! Acquiring the visa in Togo took a little more time but it was definitely a good story. We first had to wait for the man to show up since I guess none of the other guys could put some stamps in our passport. Then, there was some confusion with Sheree's Togo passport which made for a scene. After that, we were just sitting there on hard wooden benches in this wooden hut with a grass roof when a friend came up to the policeman. He plopped down a large bottle of of Scottish Whiskey and then walked away as nothing had happend. Oh I love when there are cherries on the ice cream. Anyways, thankfully we made it to our destination below the mountains of Southern Togo before night.

For a little background information: we went to an ABWE missionary compound where there is a well established church, literary center with a printshop, nice facilities, a large Togolese work force, and many churches throughout the surrounding villages. I went with another teacher and the principal and her daughter. The principal of our school has been going to Togo at least 2 or 3 times a year to help with teacher training. An amazing lady, whose husband helped run the finances of the hospital, started 14 Christian schools within a 3 hour radious of one another. Each year for 6 years, she added a new grade to the school and had a year of teacher training for the teachers at her house before sending them out. Last summer, they graduated their last teachers for the 6th classes. They now have 2500 students in Christian education. She knows her program still has a large way to go, but she accurately brings across the message that at least the Christian schools are better than the public ones. One women's vision to see a multitude of kids know Christ and get a better education than offered in other places, is now enabling a brighter future for these students.

On Tuesday, I had the opportunity to teach some math games to the teachers of one school. They seemed eager to learn and were good sports about the games as they got pretty competitive. I tried in my broken French to give directions but a lot of times I allowed the missionary to interpret. I need so much work with my French but this is the first time I really was able to use it so I guess I wasn't horrible. We even had some of the teachers teach the rest of us which really impressed me. We only taught about two hours and I wish I could have shared more but I guess it was a good start. I pray to be more involved in these schools and to find more information to help them as I certainly don't know everything. I know how to teach English phonics but of course do not have a clue of how to teach phonice in Ewe and then in French. For some reason we were never taught that in college! Ha! There are so many degrees I now want to pursue but the Lord will sustain me and help me know the right steps to take.

One of the highlights of my trip was going to the headmaster's house which is tucked away in the village, right underneath the towering mountains. He had a small cement house, with a separate kitchen and was adding on a new little house for his mother and mother-in-law to stay. That should be fun! They have one daughter who is as their son died last year. However, we heard the good news that they are expecting another child so we pray for no complications. My principal, Sheree, always brings the girl, Gracias, some presents. This year she brought Cooties and Trouble, ahhh the classics! This was one of those "Did you ever think?" moments as I never thought I would be sitting outside on the dirt in plastic chairs huddled around a small uneven wooden table playing none other than Cooties and Trouble. Everyone passing by thought we were nuts of course but it was fun to bring some excitement to a culture based upon practicality and surviving.

Another highlight which I forgot to include was getting to the town from the hospitable on a taxi. Yes, I said on and not in which means in Togo...... they have moto taxis instead of car ones. I have never been on a motorcycle and I knew my mother would be jealous of experiencing this without her but it was such a thrill. Yes, I kept praying the whole time as we swerved pothole after pothole but God was good and we arrived safely. On the way back, my moto got a flat tire so I had to ride on the back of Mintas. We fit on very nicely although I was mostly sitting on the luggage rack on the back but it worked for the short trip. I could get use to getting around that way and would like mine own. Alright, close your jaws, as that won't be for awhile or might never happen.

I keep talking about my favorite parts of the trip, but I am finally to the best. Wednesday morning, we went to the school to watch the teachers in action. I stayed in second grade naturally and listened to them say the creeds and recite memory verses. Then, the teacher decided to play a game with the cards. It took him awhile to set up the cards and figure out how to divide the groups evenly according to the numver of decks but he did it. As he got out the cards, I loved watching the kids expressions. They were wide eyed and fixed on the movements of the cards as they were on the edge of their seat just wondering what would be done with them. After awhile of playing, the kids got the hang of it and were doing quite well. I was impressed with the teacher as he walked around and helped each group. I had a great time talking in broken French again and hoping they would understand. One thing about Africans, well at least in Togo and Ghana, they will tell you they understand even if they don't because it is what you want to hear. For the most part, they seemed to take my directions and go with it. My heart was definitely filled with JOY as I watched these beautiful children play a simple game with cards that we take for granite so easily in other parts. I am still not sure about next year, and I feel more confused than ever but I know the Lord is revealing Himself and His plan slowly by slowly and it will happen. On most things, I jump right into them, however, on figuring all of this out, I am really hesitant. It is probably a good thing but at the same time I have to realize that I will not have all the minor details in place and just have to step out in the water before the Lord stops the Jordan River. After hearing countless missionary stories, I know there will be times without money, food, and resources. However, it is through those times that God shows His goodness and mercy which just leave us praising Him even more than we could ever imagine. I know the Lord has His plan and I will continue to be faithful and in his timing, it will work out. This is easier said than done, but God is teaching me this and I am thankful.

Although things might be confusing right now, I am thankful for beautiful Ghana and all of its craziness. As I was riding back in the car, thinking through things I was reminded by the simplicity of things here which just make it so great. Here in Ghana you can ride by and see a man cutting hair underneath a large shade tree. You can see trotro jammed with people, chickens, goats, and fruits. You can see a man lathering himself in the river amongst the bridge and the mountains for his shower. You just never know exactly what you will see but you can be assured that you see life and life in Abundance through Jesus Christ our Lord!

No comments:

Post a Comment