Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Remembrance

This blog entry is more for myself, a reflection on the past couple of days rather than sharing with you but I hope you will understand as I need to verbally process the events. As many of you may know, my beloved grandfather took his final breath on this earth and then began partying with Jesus for eternity. Of course we mourn his absence but know he his praising our Savior without suffering and pain. Afterall, he has been sick for sometime now and not himself although I will always remember the grandfather that called me sunshine or answered the phone as Mr. Schultz's pool room. I will hold onto the times of swimming in the ocean and "being too far out" for grandmother's taste or asking where the Christmas tree was during every birthday. Those memories will continue on and hold dear in my heart as a part of who I am was molded with my grandfather's kindness and hard work ethics. The only way to carry on who he was to embrace his values and live to become a women who desires after God's will and lives with contenment.

I awoke Monday night around 12:30 a.m.(I guess Tuesday morning) and remembered I had to still do something for Tuesday. I was thanking God that I woke up and then I checked my skype to realize the real reason why the Lord had me arise from my slumber. My mother had given me details on the events that occurred that evening and that were still happening as I tried to wrap my brain around the information. Yes, I knew it was coming for awhile but it is different when it actually does happen. I eventually went back to sleep for a short time and then awoke late to discover that it wasn't a bad dream. I guess it was hard finding out in the middle of the night as then I couldn't really process it all and function yet until the next morning at school when it hit me. I must say that it was a difficult day and I didn't have much patience with my kiddos but God helped me get through it with the help of some close friends. In fact, one of the ladies at our school lost her grandfather the next evening so we have been helping each other. Yes, I knew this day was coming on the horizon soon but it is still hard when it actually happens. It is also hard to be in the comfort of my family and help with the situation when I am 6000 miles away. I wish I was there to give hugs and offer my services but alas I am here in another culture going about my day. However, God is good and continues to show my his mercies each day. I was home for Christmas which was a blessing and I will be able to return in the summer. We might mourn here but there is rejoicing in Heaven each day a loved one comes home.

I have been thinking a lot about the son "The Old Rugged Cross" which was one of my grandfather's favorite.


On a hill far away stood an old rugged cross,The emblem of suffering and shame;And I love that old cross where the dearest and bestFor a world of lost sinners was slain.
Refrain
So I’ll cherish the old rugged cross,Till my trophies at last I lay down;I will cling to the old rugged cross,And exchange it some day for a crown.
O that old rugged cross, so despised by the world,Has a wondrous attraction for me;For the dear Lamb of God left His glory aboveTo bear it to dark Calvary.
Refrain
In that old rugged cross, stained with blood so divine,A wondrous beauty I see,For ’twas on that old cross Jesus suffered and died,To pardon and sanctify me.
Refrain
To the old rugged cross I will ever be true;Its shame and reproach gladly bear;Then He’ll call me some day to my home far away,Where His glory forever I’ll share.

1 comment:

  1. My dearest Christy! Oh how my heart breaks for you tonight. I am so sorry to hear about the loss of your dear grandfather. I know that it must be so hard to be so far away during this time. Know that you are in my thoughts and prayers. I love you like crazy!!

    ReplyDelete