Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Decide to Follow

When I was walking Sunday evening, I realized that an ordinary sight to me here, is something quite extraordinary in other cultures. I was turning the corner from my street when a lady was pulling out certain branches from a large pile of debris. She smiled nicely at me when I passed her and then went back to her work. While she was working, I heard the familiar sound of, "I have decided to Follow Jesus." It was such a powerful message to hear because as this woman did menial work, she was still singing praises to her Savior and proclaiming that no matter what the job she has been called to do, she has still taken the stance to Follow Christ. I needed that reminder as I tend to worry about the future and if the plans will work out. However, if I am committed to following Christ, then I do not have to worry about the details. God is in control of the details, I just have to make the decision to fully follow him no matter the obstacle that seems to stand in the way. What an easy concept but a harder one to actually practice.
On Wednesday, we had chapel for the entire school to stay focused on the meaning of Easter. Some students put on a the Easter Story through song, interpretitive dance, and even a scene between the devil and Jesus with the background of the Final Countdown. It struck the kids in a new way and really made them think of the sacrifice God made for them. After one of the songs, I turned to my second graders. One of them was clapping wildly and exclaiming, "This is amazing!" It was very cute! Afterwards, we talked about the true meaning of Easter and one of my girls aksed if we could pray that everyone would decide to follow Jesus. Yes, what an amazing example of childlike faith. Please pray with me that the students will fully understand how they can follow God full heartedly.
I was talking to a friend of mine who is moving to Kenya with her five kids and husband. They are very dear to me and I will miss them emensely. We were talking about stepping out on Faith and trusting God to provide when there doesn't seem away. We so easily say yes, God and then say "but God" right afterwards. If we are truly telling God that we trust Him, there should not be any "buts" afterward as preacher said nothing good comes out of a but. Instead, we should be saying, "OK God!" Yes God, it seems impossible, OK you will move the mountains and of course he will. Will it be the way we envisioned it? Maybe, maybe not, but if we are willing to say"OK God, here I am and take all of me," then what culd go wrong? Yes, easier said than done but each day as we walk with our Savior, we see His goodness a little more and understand a little more how much he really is in control.
This week in my classroom, we put on our fairy tale plays. Leading up to this, the students created an explosion of color and construction paper as they designed their costumed and prepared for their play. I truly love these moments because even though I am running around assisting in anyway possible, the kids are truly happy and having the opportunity to allow creativity to flow. One day we were picking up, which takes a decade!, and I found a shoe under the table. I was looking for the owner when I found the match under the next table. I knew immediately who it was as he is notorious for this and then I had to laugh as I sent this student on an errand to kindergarten not knowing he was missing his shoes! Oh my! It really never is a dull moment in my classroom and I just have to laugh at the craziness so I don't lose my sanity although some of you might be questioning if I ever had any. Good question!
Of course this blog would not be complete without mentioning our Savior! I love worshipping in a mixed cultural groups with a variety of mother tongues and knowing that the Savior of the Universe died for us all! He is risen! He is risen indeed! This joyful proclamation was started by Christians centuries ago who wanted to make sure they were meeting with other true believers. If a person responded in the right way, they knew they were a true believer and was not trying to infiltrate the Church meeting. Unfortunately, this is very true for many believers today, especially in Northern Africa where Christians must meet in secret. They too, are celebrating the Resurrection of our Savior but alas, they are doing it underground. I am so thankful that our God is bigger than persecution as he has Conquered Death once and for all! I pray that today and everyday you can joyfully exclaim that Our Savior is Risen and He is Risen Indeed!

No comments:

Post a Comment