Wednesday, May 23, 2012

When Life Gives you Chicken Pox....Become Unique

I feel like this week was filled with many opportunities where the Lord was teaching me to make the best of the situation.  This is such an important lesson and very vital for survival in Ghana.  I guess I should first put the disclaimer that no, I never got the chicken pox but I did have a student in class have it.  He stayed home longer than usual because he was self-conscious of the scabs left behind as they are more noticeable on darker skins.  I finally convinced him to return to school as the kids were delighted for his arrival.  I could tell that he was very nervous so I took him out in the hallway and asked him if life would be better if we were all wearing spots.  His smiled returned for the first time that day and I knew a deicision was made.  I quickly got out my face paint crayons and put white spots on all the children.  They eagerly accepted the spots as they love all of their classmates.  I told them that if anyone asked them about their faces, they should just tell them they are unique today and that is exactly what we did.  I love how they will stand up for each other and embrace their differences.  They show me genuine love each day. 


The fun continued on Tuesday as we finally did tie-dyeing with the kids on the street.  I don't know where this crazy idea came from to tie-dye, especially in Ghana where everything is more difficult.  As some of you might know, once an idea is in my brain, I must see it through until the end.  Remember, I am determined, not stubborn!  Anyways, we realized that the tie-dyeing powders are not as simple as in the states and require much mixing and plugging of the nose as it is potent! So please picture with me, 30 kids folding and putting rubber bands on t-shirts of all various sizes.  Our dress maker then mixed the dye in our small grassy area with hot water and the potent stuff as the kids crowded around to watch.  After she dipped both sides of the shirt, it was my job to cut away the bands to show the awesome design to the kids which they loved!  I will fast forward to 2 1/2 hours later where we had over 40 shirts sprawled out on the lawn, barely visible with only the front house lights on.  We did have a cultural difference moment as Joyce who was making the shirts, told us she had a little of the dye mixture left.  We told her she can just throw it out but of course you can never waste anything here so she mixed another some more to dip another shirt.  Then, of course there was a little left again, and the process continued.  I love that they never want to waste anything here and it is a good lesson to learn.   It was definitely an experience, an exhausting one at that, but one we will never forget.  The kids picked up their shirts on Sunday and loved showing them off as they put them on right away.  We have our last kids' club in a week and I am not looking forward to this as it is my last one.  God is good and will get me through this emotional night as these children have touched my heart and helped me realize how to unconditionally live.  They look at the Joy that I stamp on my hands every Tuesday, but they are the ones who have taught me pure JOY that runs deeper than the ink in a stamp.  Their JOY is contacious and I am happy to be a carrier.  Yes, there will be tears but I know our JOY will continue. 

On Saturday, we had our last soccer game with the girls.  They were amazing and I was proud of each one of them.  We ended up tieing the game but they had nothing to be shameful of as they put everything together that they have learned over the past several months.  My AIS Coaching career is over and yes, there have been some stressful moments but God is good and has been working through us and these kids to strengthen us all in Christ.

After the game, we hurried back to school and geared up for an afternoon at City of Refuge which we have gone to several times.  A senior at school was in charge of setting up a fun afternoon for the children of City of Refuge.  However, the fun began before we got there as a crazy storm came out of nowhere.  If there could be hurricanes or tornadoes in Ghana, this would have been on the list as there were dust clouds and tin roofs being torn off.  It took us two hours to get to City of Refuge whereas it should normally take half the time.  When we arrived, we noticed that the walls of the school building we had helped build a several weeks ago was torn down.  The wind had swept it away with one mighty blow which left the kids feel devastated after all their hard work of moving the blocks.  Some of them though right away said they would come and help rebuild it.  What a great attitude.  We gave gifts to the kids which was good for ours to be a part of.  Then we got down to business and played soccer!  Now remember, it had rained profusely so their soccer field was drowned.  This of course made great soccer conditions and we spent a time slipping, sliding, and rolling in the mud.  Let us just say we all all left happy and dirty.  It is important for our kids to spend time giving of themselves and not stuck in their own little worlds. We are learning and God is good to give us these opportunities.  Yes, it would have been nicer without the crazy storm but we were still able to go and have a wonderful time.  Enjoy the rest of your week!

No comments:

Post a Comment