Monday, May 19, 2014

Changing Cultural Gears


America, the land of fast paced life, a melting pot of all people groups, and a mentality that anything is ok.  Compare that to Togo, a slow placed lifestyle based upon relationship building and tradition.  Two comletely different worlds that I have now jumped in between and in order to successfully minister to the Togolese people, I must embrace the culture in which I am submerged.  I would like to take this blog to reflect on all the differences between culture in order for us all to better understand the land I now call home.

      The first thing  I had to do while stepping into Togo was to make sure I was wearing a skirt that went pass my knees.  The Christian population still believe that all women must wear long skirtsand after talking with my friends, I don’t see this changing anytime soon.  If you are wearing pants the people will automatically think you are a prostitute and  I definitely don’t want that rumor to be going around.  Although I miss pants and wearing shorts to play soccer, it is more important to be culturally appropriate. 

Greeting :  Who greets any more in America ?  There is not time for silly things like that since it is more important to get down to business.  Well, that is the contrary to here as greetings are very important.  I spend my first 15 minutes of every school day greeting everyone and asking about their parents, wife, kids, how they slept, what their dog is doing, and etc.   To the people here, there is no reason to even talk if you aren’t going to take the time the greet.

  This one goes alongside proper greetings and I am still trying to remember to use this.  If you go to someone’s home, you will be given some water and a place to sit.  After everyone has had a sip(usually from the same cup) you then greet everyone sitting there.  I was at a teacher’s house the other day and it was at least 10 minutes until I could actually meet him and talk to him since we were waiting for places to sit and the cup of water to be passed around.  Word of advice, just sit their happily until someone starts talking to you.

Those who know me well would say that I love being touched.  Actually they would tell you the opposite but God has definitely been working on me and has given me close friends who have tauught me that hugging is ok.  I am greatful for them because holding hands is a big deal here.  It is very common to see guys holding hands with another guy without it meaning  more than just friendship.  My colleague will hold my hand and he is  happily married man.  The symbol of holding hands is only a sign of friendshp for someone who means a lot to them.

 

Some other differences that take some time to get use to can be the odor of certain things or remembering not to flush the toilet paper down the toilet  I also have grown accustom to taking bucket showers where I get to manually throw the water on myself and you always try to plug in your electronics when you can because you  never know when the lights will go out.  Pretty much you don’t plan ahead for anything here and just deal with what happens.  I don’t mind this as it helps you thank God for every little thing that happens. 

 

And my pour skin which hasn’t seen the sun in months has had the shock of a lifetime to have the strong rays of living on the equator hitting down on it.  Speaking of the sun, it causes you to sweat quite a bit when exposed to it especially in places where you have no air conditioning.  Yes, no air flow whatsoever during a humid day. 

 

Oh there are so many things that change like learning how to teach during a rain storm with a tin roof(it’s loud) or riding motos into the bush and being stared at by children who have never seen white person.  Yes, they are adjustments but the one thing that never changes is our relationship with God.  No matter where we are or what we are doing, God is forever sovereign and constant in our lives.  He is willing to mold us and use our human bodies for His ultimate glory. 

No comments:

Post a Comment