Friday, May 16, 2014

Standing on His promises

    Riding motorcycles, playing soccer in the sand, and sharing about Christ in French are now a part of my normal routine.  I spend my days greeting everyone I meet, helping teachers in a classroom of 50 students, hearing an average of three different languages a day.  and being able to speak publicly about having a personal relationship with Christ?  How on earth did I get to this point in my life where this abnormal culture to an American has become normal?


    I would have to back up and take a trip back to middle school when I felt a desire to teach overseas.  At the time, my desire to leave the states was more of a selfish one but God uses our passions for His glory even when we don't realize it.  As years passed, that little small spark began to ignite and I came anxious to see God's plan in how I could be used by Him.  God's word is filled with His promises, and He continues to work through us with His promises.  He has promised never to leave us and to always lead us through this world.  For a time that seemed to endure forever, God put a passion in my heart and kept reminding me He wouldn't forget about me and needed to wait for His perfect time.  I unfortunately wasn't very patient at waiting but God of course still kept His promise as He has brought me to serve in Togo.  I have unspeakable joy to describe the feeling of knowing that I will be able to work with the Togolese until God calls me Home. Yes, it is waiting for His promises and His promises will always be kept.  If God is willing to keep His promise of bringing me to the mission field, He is certainly capable of keeping His promise to save us from our sins and preparing for us our Heavenly Home.  How amazing that we serve who cares about our lives here on earth so we can ultimately make an impact for His glory.   As I have been greeting people this week, they quickly ask me how long I will be staying.  I love responding that I will be here indefinitely and this is now my home.  It is now my promise to work diligently for the Lord and not to miss an opportunity to win another soul for Christ. 


     After spending a few days in Accra, my wonderful friends took me to the border of Togo in Lome the capital.  Of course there was adventures along the way as Meghann had to weave in and out of large trucks in order to actually reach the border. Luckily a man ran ahead of us and cleared the path of unexpected drivers coming the other direction.  At the border, I was surprised to see Roger, my colleague, as I told him not to come due to his wife having their third child two days before.  I was happy to see him and after dealing with men that wanted more money for carrying bags, we were finally on our way in a trotro.  Of course the trotro stopped on numerous occasions and I finally arrived in Adeta 10 hours after I left Accra. 
    Sunday was a joyous day as I was reunited with so many friends and children at church.  It took forever for me to actually leave as there was so many to greet.  After church, I was able to visit with many families and surprised some students who almost came to tears.  The only downside of this was the boiling burnt arms I received after walking from house to house.  My poor arms had not been exposed to the sun in a long time and they paid dearly for that.  It has been a little difficult to adjust to the heat and it is getting easier especially since I don't have a fan at night. 


    Sunday was wonderful, but Monday was the icing on top of the cake as I was able to begin school life.  I spent most of the day helping put out small fires and observing the teachers.  I have seem some wonderful teaching as they are trying to praise their students more than punish them.  Anne, who has been teaching English while I was gone, has been doing an excellent job and it warmed my heart to hear them speaking so well. 


     Hmmm, no more runs to Krogers when I don't have someone anymore.  I am back to market shopping and that is exactly what I had to do Monday with the help of some students.  I miss the variety of vegetables but at least I have mangoes and pineapples!! 
       On Wednesday I travelled down to Lome in the middle front seat of a shared taxi where that middle seat really doesn't exist.  I was greeted by my colleague who takes care of the schools in Lome and away we went to visit schools.  The teachers were very surprised to see me and I was pleasantly pleased to see such excellent teaching.  I was able to talk with some and I asked the how they saw God working in their schools.  They replied that they are thankful for a great team of teachers who all work together and to students who are excited about learning.  They said that they have many students who come to church as well, even those who are Muslims.  It is such a blessing to see the teachers recognizing God's goodness in the schools and to remember that our work is a mission and not just a job. 
   Wednesday afternoon, I took a much needed run, and wound up playing a game of street soccer in the street of course.  We had to stop from time to time to allow the cars and motos to pass but other than that I enjoyed being a part of the neighborhood and being accepted even though I'm a Yovo(white person)


      I attended one of our churches Wednesday night and went to the young women's prayer time.  It was all in Ewe and after several attempts of trying to give prayer requests in French, I finally told them it was ok to just use Ewe.  You were all well prayed for that evening since I couldn't understand the Ewe.


      After visiting the rest of the schools on Thursday, I received my one year visa and attempted to find a way home.  We found a taxi without any passengers and I was worried I would be stuck at the station forever.  Fortunately, we left and looked for people on the way and fortunately again, we found no one.  That mean that I sat in the back of the taxi by myself!  This was a huge praise as taxis normally put 4 grown adults in the back so I tried to make the most of this time by stretching out and resting comfortably.  You find that in a third world country, you must hold on to the little things and praise God for how miraculous they can make life!!!
   On Saturday, I was able to do one of my favorite past times; playing soccer with the kids.  Covered in sand by the end of the time, I am thankful for the time spent with these students and to share my passion for soccer with those who also love it.  There was also a funeral today which consists of sitting underneath a tent made out of palm branches and following the casket on foot to the burial sight while the church band plays.  In the afternoon, I spent my time playing with the neighborhood kids who came over to read, play cards, and hide dominoes.  I then went over to their compound and had our first kid's club since I have returned.  I had 21 children and they intently listened as I shared how God kept His promise to Abraham to make a nation from his children just like God promised to send his son to the earth to save us. 


      Please pray for discernment as we wok on curriculum and programs for next year.  Pray that I will use each moment wisely and that we will be dedicated God's word.  Thank God this week for the promises He has kept and will continue to keep for eternity. 

No comments:

Post a Comment