Monday, December 21, 2009

Mundane Happiness

A week ago from Saturday, I waved goodbye to all of my friends who were heading to America from Christmas. At first it was hard knowing that they were all leaving to see family but once they were gone, I still felt the peace that this is where I need to be. On that Sunday, I moved in with a family who practically started the school. She is a nurse for the embassy and the project manager for the school. It was so nice of them to let me stay there so I wasn't lonely at the house. It was so homey to be with a family so I experenced a week of good fellowship and good homemade somewhat American food! On Sunday, we went to a soccer game against two local rivals. Oh man, let me tell you that there was a lot of testosterone flying around as everyone was yelling at their neighbor throughout the game. The Accra team won 1-0 even though I thought the Kumasi team played better. After the game, the heat soared when the Kumasi player slugged a ref. The police swarmed onto the field like ants attacking our food in the kitchen. It was insane! THen a riot broke out in the stand so the police were jumping up seats to take care of that while we watched in shock on the other side. It was so barbarious but they take their soccer seriously here. I don't know if anyone remembers but about 10 years ago, there was an actual stampede that took place at the stadium when these two team were playing. Due to the riots, the police shut the gates so people panicked and stampeded others to their death. Not a happy story but a reality here. Don't worry, nothing liked that happened, we made it back safe and sound!

I spent the rest of the week helping Laurie, the project manager at the school cleaning up. I did go to Auntie Jean's house one day to help with the Christmas program but other than that I was at the school or at their house planning for next semester. By Friday, I felt like I had wasted my week, just because there is so much need here but I realized that I was right where I needed to be. Laurie did need help and the job wouldn't have gotten finished if I didn't help her. Also, we were able to have some really good conversations where we both just needed a listening ear. I have struggled with the mundane of life for a long time and it is still hard for me but my mother would always tell me growing up, "Even missionaries have to do house work and pay the bills." Yes, very true! I can't believe I just agreed with my mother! Just kidding! Anyways, as a title from a book clearly states, "Bloom where you are planted." I am in Africa during Christmas for a reason and even though I can't save every child I want to, I must be faithful in the chores God has given me to accomplish because my ultimate reason for being here is to serve him. I can serve him though joyfully cleaning or trying to talk twi to the guards or clearners. However, we can all be faithfully blooming where he planted us, not just in Africa but wherever we may be.

No comments:

Post a Comment