Friday, December 11, 2009

Reflection on the Greatness of God

I can't believe I am actually writing the words, "I have taught for one semester" Yes I wrote it and it is true, crazy. I have dreamed about teaching in my own classroom since I was little and Cathy made me be her student when we would play. After many years of preparation, I finally have my own classroom and my own students, it really is hard to fathom it but I am so grateful for it. Also, since about the age of 10, I have dreamed of teaching overseas where I could share my passion for teaching and Jesus in an International setting. The fact that both dreams happened at the same time is too much to take some days which reminds me how much I must praise the Lord for his amazing plan that is perfect.



A year ago, I would tell you that I would be teaching overseas but I did not have a clue how this would be accomplished. Even last spring up until May 21st, the master plan was not revealed to me yet. My poor mother would listen to my sad case every morning as I drove to Muncie for student teaching. I thought everyone else had job opportunities and I was left without any options. Of course, now looking back on the situation, it is quite comical as everything obviously worked out but I was just caught up on knowing the plan then. Two days before I graduated, God revealed that plan when Mr. Crosby called and offered me the job even though I had to wait five days for his phone call either confirming the opening or denying my chance. Oh patience, I think God is teaching me something!



That was 6 months ago and now I find myself walking to school on dirt streets, talking to the children on the street who call me sister Christy, and bardering for good taxi fares. Who would have thought? Silly me, of course God thought it through and he knew! If I would have only trusted him more but that is why I am still a work in progress.



Question: Do you have any regrets for being in Ghana?



Answer: Absolutely not. Like I have said before, there are hard days but that will be anywhere. I know that God has planted the seed in my heart for a long time to teach internationally so this is where I need to be, no turning back now! God has blessed me with great friends who already care about me when I work too much and don't take a break. I am always invited to fun events and I feel comfortable sharing my personal struggles with them. Being in this setting really brings you close together. I teach at a school where I can openly share about Christ to students of all backgrounds, the staff pray together three times a week, and I have a pretty good assortment of supplies considering I am in Africa. It is sometimes easy to complain about problems at school or lack of resources but compared to public schools here, we have everything we could ever need. However, I will eventually like to help in public school somewhere in Africa as the need is great. Being here has helped me realize how much I have to renew my thirst in Christ everyday so I do not become dehydrated to the point of exhaustion. God has broken me and he continues to break me as He has made me submit my independence and control to Him as I cannot control every situation here. Through the hard times, the Lord makes us stronger and I do believe I am learning to lean on him for the strength to endure.

Quetion: Will you teach another year?

Answer: What kind of question is that? Of course I will teach! God has designed me to be with children and to instill passions inside of them for learning. When I watch a struggle with a concept, especially in math to the point that we are both frustrating, it gives me no greater joy than to watch him or her understand say double digit addition for the first time. The light bulb comes on and there is much celebrating to be had especially dancing on the desks! Yes, this does happen sometimes but we have to celebrate big for a student who understands, they need to know that what they can do is important. I the hugs I receive, the concerns they bring up for mankind, and the connections they make between what I have taught them and the world around them. Now am I this happy about teaching everyday?(I'll be honest and say some days are a struggle) but I keep on coming back because of the 11 soon to be 13 inquisitive minds that walk in my room everyday. They are worth it and so will all the other students who I have the privilege to guide them through the learning process. I am so thankful for the Lord for instilling in me the passion to teach, not to be bias but it truly is the greatest professional a girl or guy could have!

I have learned many lessons from my first semester like make sure you introduce yourself right at the beginning of the first day, or know exactly what you are doing before the kids enter the room but as long as I learn from my mistakes, I know I will improve. Next year will be easier but I never want to get stuck in a rut as there is much that I still need to learn.

Thank you for supporting me for a semester, I appreciate all the prayes and e-mails. Please keep them up! I am currently staying with a beautiful, welcoming family until Cathy comes on Saturday. Oh happy day! So the next time I write there will be two of us experiencing God's plan in Ghana. Maybe I will even let her be a guest blogger! Enjoy the week before Christmas and never forget the real reason we celebrate!

Enfrijipah(Merry Christmas in Twi)!!!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment