Sunday, September 5, 2010

Find Your Voice Deep Within

I am so sorry! This blog entry is from the first week of school, so three weeks ago. I had it written down, I just didn't have the time to post it. I will be better, I promise!



Nothing much happened this week. I must say it has been quite boring around here. All have done is teach my first week of school, you know, nothing unusual. Alright, enough of this nonsense, as the first week of school brought much anticipation and excitement. After putting together the last few details int he classroom, I was finally ready to welcome in 14 eager second graders. However, going outside to retrieve my class, I only found 8 tired and overwhelmed students. Yes, I only had 8 kids the first day which was created a more laidback atmosphere. This proved to be a disadvantage as I started out easier on them and then had to crack down by the third day. WARNING: THis is not the advised way to begin discipline routines as I am sure all the veteran teachers are cringing right now. Always start harder, don't smile until Thanksgiving, and make a kid cry, that's what they say! Wait, I don't really believe in that but yes I should have been a little more strict but I do love having fun with the kids.



Right now is the holiday of Ramadan in which the Muslims fast from all drink and food during the day and then have a huge feast when the sung goes down. I have a student who is trying to fast which I guess she did successfully the entire week before school. However, when school started, it was a little harder especially during lunch when the rest of the kids were eating. She finally had a lunch from her younger brother and vowed she would fast the next day. Well, she had lunch packed this time so then she vowed to fast the following day. The poor thing, she is only 7 and you can see her wilt before lunch. We have at least 60 Muslims in our school misch means a lof of praying as these students are struggling with their identity. They know Jesus Christ died on the cross for their sins, I know this because they will tell you! However, at the same time they know they are a Muslim. God is tugging at their hearts and I pray that they will grab on tightly as He will hold on and never let go.

By lunch, my voice had vanished, just on the first day! I guess I wass yelling at the kids too rigorously! Welcome back to school where your talk all day! By the second day, my voice was hardly audible but I had one new student to add to my kids. The constant smile was the only distraction in the class as it is contagious. The children were very concerned with my voice. I asked one girl where she thought my voice was and she exclaimed, "I know where it is, deep within." They are so funny but there is some truth to that. By the third day, everyone was draggin since they weren't use to getting up early and were still get legged from their travels. I will admist that I was also draggin some although I tried to be as energetic as possible. Where do I find my energy and my desire to give a quality education each and everyday. Is it just on the surgace to pleaseothers and put on a showe or is my purpose deeper than that. I desire that each morning I dig deep within by spending quiet time with the Lord to find my purpose for the day. I desire above all to keep my eyes focused on my creator and Savior for the strength and wisdom to accomplish each day for Him and Him alone. I must admit that over the summer I got into a bad routine and did not start each morning with the Lord. What a difference prayer and Bible reading makes as it gives me and each persons a renewed spirit to live for Him. I must look deep within, examine by own heart and ask the touch question if my actions and thoughts truly bring Gllory to Christ.

1 comment:

  1. I'm with you Christy...starting the day with Christ puts my focus on eternal things. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete