Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Neighborhood fun!

Kids club eating pizza and watching the Easter story video. They were so well behaved! I love them all so much!





























If there is one aspect of living in my neighborhood that I adore, it is the half clothed, shoeless children that run through the streets yelling sister Christy and random songs that we sing on Tuesday nights. They are so precious and just children but have to grow up earlier to survive on the streets and help their parents. Tonight at kid's club, one of my friends received money from her church to use for the children. We decided to give them a special treat by buying pizza and tampico's. a type of juice in a bag. After we sang, we showed them an easter movie which mezmerized them while we passed out the pizza. Obviously they do not have TV's in their homes so it is a rare occasion for them to watch something, especially on the large wall. Fortunately, we only had 25 so we were able to contain them better and pass out everything to them without utter chaos. It was such a blessing to share something so small to us but a huge treat for them. At the end, I stressed the importance of knowing Christ as their Savior and I just pray that they truly believe in their hearts that He saved them. This message is hard to convey as not all of them speak English well but they know they are loved by us and our love comes from above. These children are truly my family. We laugh together, sing, play games on the street, read together, and even carry my groceries home together. I would feel loss without their bundle of energy and openness as they are who they are. It was interesting watching them eat their pizza as none of them finished the two slices. They saved at least one and wrapped it up in whatever they could find. The younger siblings would give their left over pieces to the older siblings to keep for later. They know how to conserve as they don't know when they will get their next complete meal. At the end, we still had many left over pieces so we handed out more until it got a little crazy and then had to stop. They for sure won't pass up free food and will probably feed the family. Also, pizza isn't their normal diet so this is something different to their tastebuds, hopefully it won't make them too sick. I love these children, they give me such joy. On Sundays, I read with some of them and I am teaching on to read. She is 8 and doesn't know her alphabet which is just so sad! We just have a good time sitting on my front porch while we laugh, tickle one another, and read their favorite books. It doesn't have to be something spectacular with these children as they just want quality time. Some of the children don't have mothers but also Ghanaian parents are not that compassionate towards their children. I don't want to step on their culture but at the same time, these children need to know they are loved. One of God's most beautiful creations was children and I am so fortunate to see that gift each day. Please pray for these childrena nd their education as the schools are extremely poor. If you would like to donate anything for them please let me know or my parents as they can bring it in June.

No comments:

Post a Comment