Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Victory!

In past blog entries, I have voiced my frustration with soccer as it has been hard to earn their respect and they don't appreciate anything I do for them. For the past two weeks, things have been better after I have yelled at them and showed them who is boss. They don't mouth off to me as much and do what I tell them to do. It really has been a blessing and I am beginning to like soccer again. These kids really see me as their parent, grade inforcer, and coach. They even said that they are my kids and that deep down I know that I love them. I do love them and the craziness they bring to my life. The other night after school I had a gamet of players in my room. I had one of my second graders doing work, a high schooler finishing work, a girl player talking to him, the brother just talking and trying to one up me, another boy telling the rest that they have to go or his driver will smoke him, another girl player juggling, and a third girl player chatting with my mom on skype which she loved. After they had left, I thought about the former scene. I never pictured myself having frienships with high schoolers to the point that they feel open to share with me . It really is a blessing even though it is a little too much sometimes! Fortunately, I am able to run with some of the girls where we pray and just offer up praises to our Lord! I will not survive without them.

Anyways, the boys and the girls had a game last Monday against Ghana International School which has a pretty good team. The girls unfortunately lost 2-0 but they only had 7 players total where the boys played on the same field with two more players. They are learning so much and improving each time. I just have to keep them from getting frustrated. It will just take time to build up their program a little more. Pray that I have more coaches coming next year which I think I do so we can divide the two teams and please pray that we get more committed girl players.

For the boys, I knew our first victory was going to be Wednesday. We were starting to build from each game and I saw it coming together just at the right moment. I just had that jumpy feeling inside that today was the day. Well, I guess I was right because we got our first win, 2-1! I know winning isn't everything but it felt so good to finally have a victory! It also helps encourage the boys to know they can win and boosts their self confidence to continue to win. The boys were a little insane on the way home, I thought it was too much celebrating but a guy teacher with me told me that is how they are and it is good for their ego. There is so much to learn about coaching boys! Anyway, I keep telling them they can't get to cocky as we have more games to play. Through this experience, even though it is just a sport, I am learning the importance of riding the storm to see the good effects afterwards. It has been a struggle trying to teach all day and then put up with teenage attitudes but I am startng to realize that by hanging in there for the long haul, I am gaining their respect and trust and that is more important than anything. On the way home, they cheered for me and one of them even thanked me for helping them win. That really meant a lot since I never hear that from them, I usually get complaints! I don't need their approval but it is nice to feel appreciated once and awhile. These 30 middle school and high school students are my kids and I know my life would not feel complete without them no matter how crazy they make me!

Oh big a praise! They have cleared the land and have ploughed it for our new field. Ou next game will be on our field and I couldn't be more excited!

On a more important note than soccer, today is Good Friday. I pray you all have a chance to reflect on the sacrifice our Lord made for us so we can ultimately spend eternity with Christ. I had the opportunity to share with my kids yesterday and really dwell on the fact that the only way to go to heaven is to trust that Jesus Christ died for our personal sins. This created interesting conversations as one of my muslim girls said they celebrate Easter by celebrating the God for everyone. She said they believe that God will allow everyone to go to heaven. My kids then had words to say about this but they all did it in a kind way. They said, but I thought Muslims believe that Jesus was just a profit. My kids are great missionaries and want everyone to know the truth. I had the chance to share how I became a Christian and how people can go to church all their life and still not truly believe in Jesus Christ. It is important to accept him immediately into their hearts. If they learn anything this year, I pray it is the redeeming love of Christ. It is hard being gone for Easter as I love this great celebration with friends and family. However, I will be home very soon and I know we are all in the right place for God's right timing. I will be heading to the village to teach reading this week. Please pray that I have the words and they understand the message I am trying to convey to them.

HAPPY EASTER!

No comments:

Post a Comment