Sunday, September 13, 2009

Guessing Game: Lifetime opportunity



Yes, that is a man who is painted in the Ghanaian colors. Don't worry, he has a green skirt on! In front of him is Sudan's bench. We are close!




Above is Meg and me! We played soccer against each other in college and now we are coaching together. It is a small world! Go Ghana!




These are the other two girls I live with upstairs. We always have a blast no matter where we are!







Alright, hopefully by now you have figured out that I went to a world cup qualifier match in Ghana. If you are not a soccer fan, just know that this is a big deal and it made me a very happy woman. Ghana played Sudan in the match so they can get in the world cup which will happen this summer in South Africa. They beat Sudan 2-0, clenching their seat into the world! I am so proud that my country will be represented in the country. Oops, did I just say my country? Well, I do live here and last world cup the U.S. lost to Ghana in the second round so I might have a better chance routing for Ghana because the U.S. hasn’t totally made it in yet. Anyways, the atmosphere in the stadium was something I had never quite experienced as everyone was on their feet the whole time, playing trumpets, and making a lot of noise. We were three rows from the bottom by Sudan’s bench which was great but it made it a little difficult to see with the glass right in front of us. I was amazed by the speed of the game and the quickness of all the foot work. I admit, it put mine to shame! I love to be a student of the game and I had that opportunity to just analyze the players and their movement. Sorry, probably boring some of you right now but hey, I was happy, so what else mattes? Just kidding, I promise. The people around me probably thought I was boring too since I didn’t talk too much. I did try to explain to them what was going on from time to time. It was a unique opportunity to see a game I love on a continent that is passionate about football. It wasn’t just sports fans there, but the spirit of Ghana as they are proud of their nation. I hope to go to more games soon if the opportunity arises. I know, touch life as a missionary teacher! I promise I do work too!

1 comment: