Sunday, September 13, 2009

Memorize Verses

The moral of this story: memorize verses and actually refer to them in your mind when they are needed which is usually always.
On last Monday, it was my turn to lead devotions so I read my favorite life verse found in II Corinthians 4:17-18.
“ For our light affliction, which is but for a moment, is working for us a far more exceeding and eternal weight of glory. While we look not at the things which are seen, but at the things which are not seen; for the things which are seen are temporal; but the things which are not seen are eternal.”
II Corinthians 4:17-18
I found these verses one year at camp and they always give me the right perspective on why I am here. Yes, we go through trials and tribulations here on earth but they are so worth it because one day we will have our reward in Heaven because of it. It is just for a moment of time, we are not even going through problems that long compared to the time we will get to party in Heaven with Jesus. This just helps me remember that no matter what, I need to not complain and be strong through difficulties because God will work through those times for His name to be praised. After I finished, giving this devotion, I immediately had to put my words into actions(isn’t there a verse about that too?) because I was met back at my classroom with a new student. I had not previous knowledge that she would be coming so I felt bad when she came and I did not have anything prepared for her. I instantly scrambled around to get things ready and I wanted to be stressed with the situation but then I remembered the verses I had just quoted and this brought a peace to me. Why worry about the moment when I have the opportunity to show Christ to all my students with my calmness in this matter. That is what is most important. How wonderful that we can have the living Word of God so when we do find ourselves in crazy, hectic moments, we can fall back on the Truth! So, I now have 11 students and it is working out just fine with one more. They are all very unique and special and I love them all the same. So, again, moral of the story(I am speaking to myself also) memorize scripture so you can fall back on the living Truth of the Lord.
Worth the bruise!
On Tuesday, we had another Good News Club at our house where children from the community come for a half an hour to sing songs, play games, hear a bible story, and receive water and a snack. It was my turn to get the water so I ran across the street from school to get some on my way home. Here, they have water called sachet water that comes in plastic pouches and you just bit a hole into it to get the water out. I got two large bags, each having 30 sachet waters. For those of you smarter than me, you know that water is heave! I knew this but of course I didn’t think about how difficult this would actually be as I had to carry both sacks of water back to the house with two other teaching bags. Those of you who have seen me teach know I am always carrying crazy amounts of things home from school. Anyways, the walk home is probably a fourth of a mile so I must say it was quite difficult to carry all of this. I had one sack of water in a bag on my shoulder and another pack in my right arm which also had the weight of my computer bag. I made it over the bridge with the sewer below(thank goodness) and headed across the sand where I passed small children. When they saw me with the water, they all asked tonight? Tonight? I said that it had already started so they should run ahead so they wouldn’t miss the bible story. Some of the girls tried to help me carry the water but it was too heavy so they walked next to me as I struggled, it was cute! I felt like the pied piper as more kids joined me when they saw me carrying the water. Okay, by this time, I was in a lot of pain, I admit, but somehow God kept me going until a nice man helped me carry the water to the house. I made it alive and just in time to see the kids acting out a bible story! That night we had 59 kids, four more than two weeks ago. God is good all the time. We marched them out of the house singing, “I may never march in the infantry,” it was a terrific moment and worth all the pain I was feeling. After that, we talked to a lady down the street who we can get water from next time. We started talking to her and learned more Twih(pronounced tchwi) which they appreciated. Even though most people speak English, everyone knows Twih so I think it is important that I learn some important words so I can communicate to the people in their own level of understanding instead of always in mine. The lady said I could come anytime to learn and I have already been back once to pick up more.
Oh, best part of the story, the next day I woke up and saw little dots on my biceps(well, if I had biceps.) Guess what? I broke the blood vessels in my arm from carrying the water. Isn’t that funny? Well, to me it is. It didn’t get very dark though so a little disappointing but still a fun story.
Well, I survived another week and will be getting ready for week four. Please keep in contact with me so I know how I can pray for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment