Friday, September 18, 2009

The lightbulb comes on!

I want to tell you that I am a super teacher and my students are learning so much! I want to tell you that I have it all under control and have found the best ways for all of my students to learn. I want to tell you.....
I want to tell you....
the truth and the truth is I really don't have it all together at all! Yes, I am a typical first year teacher trying to keep floating instead of drowning. There are some difficult days when I look back and think "what did we accomplish today?" but I am happy to report that there are some joy spots after four weeks of teaching. (joy spots taken by none other than Dr. Tyner!) (little shoutout) Anyways, this past week, I was with a small group and they were checking off words that they had found with "er" in them and one of my boys said," Reading is so much fun! I love it now and I can't wait to read more!" I am going to start reading my bible." I had to pinch myself because this is a dream come true for a teacher! I have always wanted a child to leave my classroom and say that their love of reading came when they found the world of adventure and curiosity in a pile of books that I introduced them to. Now, I know it is not from all my doing but it is nice to know that through my encouragement, he is enjoying reading! And it is only the fourth week of school!

There are also kids who have been telling their first grade teacher what they have been learning and they are so proud of themselves! Whenever a compound word appears, they have to raise their hand so high and tell me that they have found a compound word since I taught them what it was already. How fun! Now there are the occassional times when they think everything is a compound word but most of the time they get it right! This is why I teach, so I can see students be excited about their learning and actually grasp a concept that once seemed so foreign. Yes, I wish I had it more together and could provide the best education for them all the time but I am doing my best and that is all that is expected of me. So pray that the lightbulbs keep coming on, we need all the light we can get in the room since the real electricity goes out all the time!

1 comment:

  1. Oh my darling Christy. What a little teacher you are! I love your shout out...made my night! And I love reading about your life and how God is shaping you and using you. You are precious, friend. Love you!!

    -Amanda

    ReplyDelete